Stowaway Chapter 9

I got ready and into bed. Reading a book but I could not concentrate on it. I couldn't hear him next door and I was disappointed. He was obviously avoiding me. I fell to sleep praying for a storm.

Damn, I awoke in the morning. No storm. I had slept through. No storm, No Tom. My monkey was missing too.

I got dressed and ventured out of the room. There was no one in his office. I walked down the corridor to some steps and climbed them up on to deck.

"Welcome on deck Ella, let me help you," Michael said.

I realised we were stationary and aside another vessel.

"Where is Tom?" I asked.

"On board the other ship trading"

"What is he trading?" I asked.

"Food stores. We help prevent Scurvy by trading Fruit from the Island with other vessels."

"Are they pirates?" I whispered.

"Yes" he whispered back, looking me in the eye and wiggled his eyebrows.

"Do you want to go visit?" he asked.

I was taken back by the offer, he must be joking.

"Seriously, we can go over if you wish. They are very nice," Michael nudged me in the direction of the plank stretched across the two open gates between the ships.

"I'm scared," I said.

"I know but the best thing to do is confront your fears. They won't touch you. They will believe you belong to the Captain anyway so dare not. Come on. Just think when you get home you would have been on two pirate ships or you can stay here and wish you had," he teased.

"Fine what do I do when I get over there? What is my part in the play?" I asked.

"You're the Captains wench," he grinned.

I laughed. "What does that involve?"

"Nothing you just come over with me and fetch your monkey. Let them see you, don't speak and return over here. Simple. Over, get monkey, come back."

"Ok" I said and smiled with excitement as the adrenaline pulsed through my veins. "Over, monkey, come back and you will be with me at all times. I don't talk, I'm seen but not heard as the Captains wench."

He nodded and grinned back. "Come on lets get over and back before you loose your nerve."

"Some people would say you are leading me astray Michael," I teased.

"That I am, just remember you role is silent. Only your Captains orders are obeyed," he smiled and held out a hand for me to take as he led me across the plank to the other ship.

I took a step down and had to remind myself to keep breathing as I was scared.

"Hello," Michael said to the crew of the other ship. "Anyone seen the monkey?"

"Below deck," one answered as he took in my whole appearance, looking me up and down.

Michael took my hand and helped me down the steps, my legs shaking. I took a deep breath at the bottom of the stairs and he smiled at me and winked.

"Where is my monkey?" I asked.

"In here," we heard Tom say and his voice made my heart jump.

Michael led me in and I saw Tom give Michael a disapproving look. It made me more determined to play my role well. I would show him, I can be a great Captains wench.