Stowaway Chapter 4

I woke to the sound of footsteps approaching. The door creaked open and a figure stood by the door.

I couldn't get up. The pain was too much between my legs and around my back. I cried out.

"This is her Captain," a voice said.

"Carry her," someone instructed.

"Yes Captain."

"Fetch the doctor."

"Yes Captain," another voice answered.

I felt myself lifted and cried out in pain all the way as I was carried to a room.

"Place her on the bed," the voice instructed, my head panicked at the thought of a repeat attack but the pain was too much to bare. "Set course for Virginia immediately."

"Yes Captain."

"Jesus what did they do to you? Poor girl," I felt the captains fingers touch my face and flinched still not brave enough to open my eyes. "She burning up."

"You wanted me Captain?"

"Yes Doctor, the crew found a stowaway. The rats were attracted to her blood. Can you assess her please?"

I felt cold hands on my wrist and then touch my stomach. I cried out in agony.

"We will have to put her under captain, she is obviously in a great deal of pain and distress. It is quite obvious what has happened here and as such we wouldn't want to cause her any further discomfort when I examine her."

"Very well Doctor, fetch what is needed."

"Yes Captain."

"What is it Doctor?"

"Sorry Captain it is just that she is not much older than my own grand daughter who would do such a thing?"

"I don't know but it will be explained to the men that she is not a stowaway, she is an innocent victim and will be treated as such. Anyone so much as harms a hair on her head and they will answer to me. Get the Galley to fetch some water for the bath."

"Yes Captain."

"Michael I will need you to stay and help the Doctor and I sedate the her."

"Yes Captain."

I heard people moving and voices in the other room. They came back to where I lay falling in and out of consciousness.

"Here Captain I have what we need. The Galley is bringing the water now."

"Very good Doctor."

"Sorry Captain my hands are shaking, I don't mean to appear weak."

"Anyone not affected by the atrocity we are witness to here is no man. This will not go unpunished. We will find who is responsible for this and deal with him accordingly. All we can do for her now is try to help as much as possible, we need to get her to Virginia and take her ashore."

"We should arrive in two days Captain. With any luck she will survive and sleep through most of the journey. She will need to be watched carefully," the doctor said.

"I will watch over her personally and she will remain under my protection until she is safely returned to her family. Lets get to it men."

I felt hands on me as my body reacted with fear and I screamed.

The Captains voice was close to my ear. "Shhh. Don't worry we will not hurt you." His hand stroking my hair like my mother did when I got a fever. "I know you may find that hard to believe, especially coming from a man after what you have obviously been subjected too but I promise you, you have my word of honour, we will not lay a hand on you except to help you." His hand again stroking my hair comforting me. "We have to put you to sleep so the doctor can fix you up. You won't be in any pain, I promise. Please trust us, we mean you no harm. Here, I will hold your hand whilst you sleep. You are not alone anymore, we are here to protect you."

The touch of another human beings hand in mine, telling me I was not alone and they were going to help me pushed aside my fear and I clung to the hope of rescue, his hand in mine, a strangers hand in the dark, like an angel leading me to heaven.

"Help me," I whispered and I felt his hand squeeze mine reassuringly as he stroked my hair with the other.

"We will do that my child," I heard the doctors voice say. "Sleep now and rest whilst we watch over you. Fear not in our company my lady, we are not the demons who treated you so badly and they are too far away to reach you now. We will do what we can for you. Rest now my child for you are safe under our protection."

I heard the noise of pouring water and smelt something held over my nose as I drifted off into unconsciousness.