Chapter 7

A/N Okay, I know this is short, but it's jam packed with action.. and stuff! 

Devon’s POV

For an hour we planned more and more onto what we have. We silently paced back and forth with out knowing as we did so discus our situation. I told them to try what we have, try to get this over with in time. We don't want to wait any longer, because any longer and we might be goners. 

We sit in the car waiting for the Caleb to find a farm by my house. We get to my house after looking the farm over. We know exactly where it is, how far away it is and where the butcher house is. We think that might be the easiest way to do it. 

We get out of the car at my house. We altered the plan than we had before. I walk into the house with all of the girls. I make sure to see if my dad is home, and if he did I would need to get those girls out of there as soon as possible. 

We walk to the backyard of my house. The girls have never been to the back, or even the inside, of my house so they question some of the things that they see. We have different coloured toilets in the back with flowers growing out of them. My mother did that before she left us. 

They question the broken glass shards that they find in the yard from my fathers outrage when my mother died. He's never let me clean it up. The day that he threw the bear and vodka bottles in the backyard was the day I knew my life was going to change way more than it already has. 

We jump over the fence and into the large field that is the farm. We make sure to look out for any of the animals that they have or any pests that might come running to chomp on us. We walk towards the small shed where they butcher the poor animals. That's the things that I wake up to. Squealing and snorting from pigs. Loud moos' from the cows. 

We rush toward it, my heart races as we inch closer and closer. I don't know what will happen after tonight but at least we won't be murderers. 

We come to the front of the shed, I grasp the handle to the butcher shed in my hands feeling sick. Bracing myself for what might happen. I breathe in and out. Hoping for the best to be in there. No such luck. I open the shed and I see meat hanging from the ceiling. I see pig heads and cow heads everywhere. I can't breathe from the horrible smell that wafts toward me. I take a breath and try to keep myself from freaking out. 

Ainsley takes the box out of her side bag. She places it in one of the empty spots that is on the cutting board. We all have glove on and I can feel them sufficating my hands. I can't feel them. But I keep them on, keeping myself calm the easiest way. 

 I take the dagger out of the box. My gloved hands sweating from my nervousness. My heart racing. This is for our own good , this is for our own good, those words becoming a chant in the back of my mind.  I slice the dagger through the vein in some part of an animal. I try to make the blade look used. My stomach turns over and over again watching myself do it. Caleb comes over carrying the heart and Ainsley opens the box for her. No finger prints, no evidence, no harm. I try to convince myself as they put the heart in the wooden box. I place the dagger in with it and seal it. Trying to forget the horrible image of the animal heart. Trying to form a different memory so I can say this never happened. But of course it did. I’m not clean of anything. I know it. 

 I hear the door shut behind us on our way out. I know that all the girls are out and safe. Tears start staining my face. The girls come to my side. They try to make me feel better but I can't hear the word that they say to me. The memory is replacing noise with the loud noise of tears. 

We walk back to my house and I dread going home but I know I must. I have no reason not to. I breathe more and more, almost hyperventilating. I try to take my breathing slowly but I can't. We run the rest of the way to my house and they give me hugs and farewells to place the heart on the street. 

I walk them down to the car that we placed away from my house. I told them that my dad just doesn't like people at the house late. Boy, that was a lie. I tell them to be careful and then I leave. I walk up my drive way and to my small shack of a home. When I open the door I pray to god my step father is asleep. I try to tip top through the house so he won’t wake from my coming home so late. 

“Devon!” I hear My father yell from the kitchen. 

“Yes, Jack?” I yell back.

“Come here a moment.” I wince and walk to the kitchen where Jack stands drinking his whiskey. By now of course he was tipsy. He slurred every word that came out of his mouth. He put the bottle of whiskey down on the counter, it landed with a clink. He slowly saunters over to me, he brushes his fingers through my hair. “What were you doing out so late.” He growls at me and pulls my head back by my hair. I squeal from the pain. 

“I had to do some homework.” I tell him. He pulls my head closer to him and throws me to the floor. A silent tear trickles down my face. I look up at him, he looks down at me with anger in his expression. Just like everyday.

“You could’ve been home to do homework. Or you could’ve told me.”

“I did tell you, you just don’t listen!” I say to him. He kicks me in the rib cage at that comment. The pain increases with every blow. My nerves are going on edge in pain. I feel so helpless. When he stops I open my eyes to see his hand come down to my hair and pull me up.

“Have you learned your lesson?” He asks connecting his fist to my jaw, leaving the taste of blood on my tongue. I shake my head yes not able to make any words out. Tears spill out of my eyes and he throws me against the wall. “Go!” He yells at me. 

I run out of the room tripping over everything on my way. I run to the stairs questioning my ability to make it up them. I go for it anyway. The pain that overcomes me with every step almost kills me. When I get to the top of the stairs I fall. Attempting to get air into my lungs but with no luck. I hold onto the railing of the staircase and pull myself up. I walk slowly to my room about to faint from so much pain but know I need to treat any wounds that I just got. I go into my bathroom and find the first aid kit. I have a cut on my face from the impact of his fist that I need to treat. 

I pull out the black bottle of hydrogen peroxide and pour some on a paper towel. I dab my cut lightly begging for the pain to go away. I dab my bloody wound on my chest with the towel and watch as my tears fall in the mirror. 

I contemplate wrapping up my ribs which are surely broken, but I decide against it knowing that if I do I may get pneumonia. I lay in bed waiting for something to happen. Waiting for my life to fall a part because he knows that the heart isn’t human, or my step dad just kills me right now. 

I fall asleep instantly as the pain killers kick in. My dreams tonight are all nightmares filled with Me, Caleb, and Ainsley cutting out a human heart. Then being viciously murdered. Nothing seems right in these dreams, something always seems off. Something that I would never guess. 

As I wake from the horrific dreams my door opens. 

“Hey, Devon. You wanna have some fun?” My step father asks closing the door and moving onto the bed.