Chapter 5

Ainsley’s POV 

                   My head throbs against my skull. It feels like my brain is growing and trying to push out of my thick head. It feels like my brain is about to explode and kill me. Any loud noise and I may die. Where's Devon, she was supposed to bring me advil. I hear as scream and glass break. I moan and hold my breath to try to get it to stop. I fall to the floor with a thump until it simmers down a bit. Caleb gets up and heads to where the noise originated. 

                One I finally feel fine I slowly get up. My arms shakey and thretening to fail on me. I slowly make my way groggily to my large kitchen. I see them staring at my oven, in shock I would presume. I don’t understand what’s going on at this point. 

                 I turn to where they’re looking and I see three dolls hung above the gas that’s pouring through  the stove just waiting to kill us with it’s toxic fumes. I choke on the fumes as I walk towards the oven. I turn the knob to where it would be off. And like it was timed the dolls all say in unison,

                You better watch your back, or you’ll be sorry. 

                My heart raced as I played it back in my head over and over hoping it wasn’t real. Remembering made my head throb even more. 

               “Why are they doing this to us?” I ask frantically putting things in my mind about everything. Trying to remember what I might have done to make some one want to wreck my life. 

               “Maybe it’s just some one trying to mess with us. You know, get some kicks out of scaring us to death.” Caleb says walking over to get the dolls from the hooks. 

              “No, Caleb.” Devon chimes in. “This is serious business. They killed our best friend. Do you understand that this went from ’Just a prank’ to some murder mystery novel. This goes onto a whole new level of creepy. And you know what I’ve had it up to here," She says motioning high.  "With all of it!” 

            “Devon there’s nothing we can do about it now, we just have to do what these people says until we find out who it is. It’ll all be fine in the end!” I pipe up and as I do, I instantly regret it. All that talking made my head feel ten times worse. 

            I didn’t notice before, but I realize that since these dolls are here that means one of them ware in my home at one point. They watched us from the inside. Trying to kill us. But then again they saved us by crashing the rock through the window. 

             Nothing makes sense anymore. I should just lay down and wait for my mom to come home and comfort me for the two seconds she’ll be here. No, she’ll probably notice my pain drop off some high fashion make up and then tell me I need to look pretty if I want to make an impression. 

              My dad won’t help me either. No doubt of what he would say. Maybe that I need to look presentable if I ever want to be a success like he is. 

               Well dad, I hate to break it to you, you’re not a success. A success would have a little time for his own daughter. Which you don’t have anytime for. 

            “Caleb, seeing that we aren’t aloud to spend the night at Devon’s can we spend the night at your house. So that I don’t have to be alone tonight.” I ask on the break of tears.

             “Of course. There’s always extra room at my house.” She says with a smile. 

           We go outside to my fire pit that my family really only uses when they’re trying to impress everyone. I get some paper and wood and build a nice fire. I put the dolls in the middle and we all watch them burn. At some point when they are almost completely gone Devon breaks out in laughter. We don’t know why but we join in. I think lack of sleep and being scared to death plenty of times takes it’s toll on us. 

           "Did you guys ever notice how fast out lives have changed. In just like three days everything went crazy!" She says between her laughs and then we all stop. We all become a little sadder, and a little more scared than we were before.

         After we extinguish the flame, I go to my room and pack a couple days worth of clothing. I don’t want to stay here alone. Might as well spend some nights with Caleb and her family. She can use all the help she can get. 

         We all walk down to her truck. The silence is excruciating on our way. We have nothing to say, everything during the day just makes our words less important. That, or maybe someone is listening and if we start talking they’ll  hear our plans for tonight. The pig heart, the dagger, the box. We’re tainted girls. No one can help us. 

          As we make it to our destination a Caleb’s little sister runs out crying out bloody murder to her sister. 

          “Kat, what’s wrong? What happened?” Caleb asks her little sister while running to her side. 

         “Lou was throwing things around in his room. I heard glass break.” She tells her sister. As soon as she does Caleb goes into mom mode and rushes into the house. Leaving us in the dust.