39 | the sun and the moon

SONG:
Godsend - Robbie Cavanagh *absolutely beautiful*

Episode Thirty-Nine:
THE SUN AND THE MOON

≫ ≫ ≫

L A W R E N C E ' S P O V :

I didn't get any legitimate sleep last night. I just sorta closed my eyes and listened to the slow traffic cycling through. Kinda surprised that no one noticed the seemingly empty sports car loitering in the strip mall's parking lot while they were driving, but then again, most humans have the attention span of a goldfish. Constantly looking from place to place, never stopping to just, be.

Last night, when I felt restless, I decided to open up the window and just look up. There weren't many stars, maybe they hid because I was looking, but everything was just dark. Empty. The streetlights seemed to be the only thing keeping the streets lit, as the moon was only a sliver of its full potential. Our shadow keeping it hidden, not letting it shine to its full potential.

Isn't it sad that there's only one day in the whole entire month, that the moon can just, shine?

One day a month. One day that we decide to let someone else go ahead and light our streets, and tint our faces a color other than artificial yellow, one day, we let someone else take control.

If I were Earth, I'd let the moon rule the night, every night. I'd move out of the way every night just to let the moon shine while it could, just because the moon was so fucking beautiful.

And the Earth has gone to shit. And to no fault of its own.

Sometimes, you don't have control over what you become. Sometimes, when you're the Earth, you just have to let them suffocate you with carbon dioxide and cut down your forests, leaving you bare. Sometimes you can't control when you're dryland turns to water and fire sears your surface, your skin. Sometimes you can't control what happens to you, when you're Earth.

But if I were Earth, I'd still try to let the moon shine.

Just because the moon was still so fucking beautiful, I'd do it. No matter if there was no way I could ever reel in the moon, keep it close, I'd let it shine, from far away.

I realize now that if the moon ever did touch the Earth, it would only lead to disaster. The two would crash, and rock would spill, and the moon wouldn't be able to shine anymore. They are always better off far away from each other. Even if the Earth, would always want to steal the moon's beauty for itself.

Just because the Earth had lost its own beauty.

I remember looking back to my car after staring up at the moonless sky and then looking back outside. It could've just been coincidence, it could've just been absolutely nothing, it probably was. I probably should've gone back to being an ignorant human.

But what I saw made me completely and utterly happy.

A man, in his late fifties most likely, with a scraggly red beard that was turning white in different patches was climbing onto the top of one of the buildings in the strip mall. He had on a hat, and a white T-shirt with the same logo as the one on the van he drove. Quickly, soundlessly, as though not to disturb the silence surrounding him, he pulled up a ginormous panel. He took out his tools and went to work installing the panel, and then after that, he installed another, and another and another. Until the panels lined the entire roof of the strip mall.

I watched him install it all. From the minute he arrived, at around 4 AM, to 7 AM, before he drove off, and customers started to pull into the once vacant parking lot.

He had installed solar panels. He was saving the Earth.
Because the Earth, I realized, could still be saved.

It just needed help from a few good people, people who tried to solve the problems, and not fear the day those problems lead to their own demise.

I was still sitting, aimlessly staring out my window with a fruit roll up slowly being maneuvered into my mouth, when I saw her swinging her legs and sipping a slushy on the curb of the strip mall. Her wild dirty blonde curls, were down, bouncing freely with her head that was moving with the music. Next to her, a textbook with a pencil marking the page as she took her break.

And now I'm here, thirty minutes later, still staring at Maya and thinking about the moon.

The issue I'm having in thinking about the two, is that they're so different. Maya and the moon.

I mean, she's aggressive, for one thing. A palm to the face to prove it. She's constantly in action, I've noticed, from the way her ringlets spring up and down, or her foot taps against the pavement. She's bubbling, you can see her smile from all the way back here, she radiates energy. She radiates warmth and happiness.

In a way, Maya is like the sun.

I look atop of her and see the solar panels saving the Earth.
I see them, and I see her, and I see light, and I see the sun, and I see the rays of heat essential to the very life we live. I see something so perfect, that I can't stop myself from gravitating towards her.

Just because I think, she's the one person who might be able to save the Earth.
After all, the sun will never let the Earth shadow over it.

≫ ≫ ≫

QUESTIONS:
Thoughts on the chapter as a whole?

Thoughts on the writing?

Thoughts on Lawrence having to sleep in his car? Lawrence as a character in general? Have your opinions on him changed since the beginning of the book?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
On to day five of posting EVERY SINGLE DAY for a week, in thanks for reaching Top 100 in Teen Fiction, 35K reads, and being awesome human beings! Thanks again for reading, I don't how much to say other than keep being you, you're amazing!
Don't forget to vote, comment, and share this story with our fellow Wattpadians!
- tat <3