19 | too early to be playing pretend

Episode Nineteen:
TOO EARLY TO BE PLAYING PRETEND

≫ ≫ ≫

F A W N ' S  P O V :

"What took you so long?"

"I was busy w-with something,"

"What the hell could you have possibly been busy with at 6:45 AM?"

"Stuff,"

"Like,"

"Like, I d-don't fucking know!" I yell, throwing my face into my hands as a groan sounds through the car.

"Last night,"

"We don't talk about last n-night," I seethe, and he looks at me warily before closing his lips and pulling away from the apartment building.

"I hate you."

"Well, that's too bad now isn't it?" He smiles wryly, glancing away from the road to see me for a second.

"Yes, y-yes it is."

"Y'know, you're making this whole arrangement a lot more difficult than it needs to be."

"I don't want to talk to you," I laugh dryly, "You know what? You're actually the l-last person I want to be talking to – because on the list of people I hate, you are at the very bottom. Dead fucking last – "

"I don't care."

"Good."

"Good."

"F-Fuck you,"

"Touché,"

≫ ≫ ≫

"Fawn! Fawn!"

Lawrence waves me over from the front of the building arms flailing as I slam the door shut behind me.

"Hey," I smile, and he frowns, looking back at the fleeting vehicle I just stepped out of.

"Who was that?" He asks, gesturing to the Honda with the nod of his head.

"Oh, h-him? No one," I smile, "Old friend,"

"Him?" He seethes, and I realize my mistake immediately.

"It's n-n-not like that – Trust me, it's not like that," I sigh, and he raises his eyebrows in disbelief before exhaling deeply as if to say 'Still don't believe you, but fine, I'll go along anyways'.

I shrug thankfully, and he shakes his head before bringing me in for a hug.

"You kinda disappeared on me last night, what happened, you came back so late, 1:30 A.M. I think," he asks after releasing me, draping his arm around my shoulder as he guides me into the school.

"Oh, nothing! I was j-just eating dinner with my family. I know it was s-sudden and all, but I thought you'd make m-me stay and it was really important that I b-be there." I state, and he furrows his eyebrows, pausing his stride for a moment before continuing.

"Why'd you come back then? Trust me, I'm not at all mad that you did," he grins suggestively, and I smile awkwardly, unsure what to do. How to feel, how to act inconspicuous.

Lawrence's curiosity was only routine.
The questions.

Where were you?

Who were you with?

Was it that guy?

"I wanted to s-see you," I lie, trying my best to get Lawrence to shut the hell up.
It's too early to be playing pretend with your almost boyfriend.

"Really?" He asks, and I nod my head shyly, I expected him to act somewhat happy with that reply, but I guess it wasn't because he's now stopped dead in his tracks with a worried look plastered on his face and radiating in his body language.

"Fawn, you're acting weird," he looks back to the parking lot as though the car might still be there, holding some answers – some truth – it does. But it's gone now, "I know – you did not come to my house last night because you just felt like it. After that first night on the roof – you've been distant, and – Don't think I haven't noticed how you disappear whenever you get the chance."

"I don't – "

"Yes, you do. You don't have to lie to me, I already know," he laughs, scratching the back of his neck.

"Lawrence – "

"It's okay, I fucked up – Many, many times with you and, you have reason to be upset, but just," he sighs, "Tell me where you went," his eyes pleading as he squeezes my hand.

"I don't have to tell you," I yank my hand away, and make a beeline for my locker.

He follows after me, and I quickly wipe away the stray tears before he can see, the last thing I need is a worried Lawrence – God, that's the last thing I need right now.

"Fawn!" He yells, and I keep walking, not turning back to see what he could be thinking of me.

Memories of last night flood my vision, but I tell myself to keep walking. Keep smiling, keep lying, because that's what I have to do right now.

For everyone, I have to do that.

I owe them that.

≫ ≫ ≫

QUESTIONS:

Thoughts on who was talking to Fawn in the car?

Any theories?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Thanks to everyone reading this! I hope your enjoyed this chapter of Wrong Guy, and are able to leave a vote or comment on if you enjoyed it or not, because it really does mean the world to me!
Thx for everything!
- tat <3