Chapter 15

For the first time in a year, I was wearing a dress again. I can't say I didn't like it. Things finally felt solved, me and Spot were together, Brooklyn was a good home and I hadn't seen Jack in months. 

I had sorta become a mother to the Brooklyn boys. And gods knows they were in desperate need of it. Each kid paid a penny for their meal and I used the money to buy some little things for food. 

I was out shopping, my hair down to my shoulders and my nice shoes making my feet blister.

I had seen and been with a couple of the Brooklyn boys but I loved none of them like I loved Jack.The only guy who had come close was James Tomkins from the east side and we had broken up a few months ago. Jack hadn't come looking for me, James was dead, so why would he care about Janet. 

I looked over to my shoulder and to my horror saw Morris. He waved at me and I knew he didn't recognize me. I felt my heart leap, maybe Race hadn't told everyone, maybe Jack didn't know.

"So I'm a little tired of this game." Morris grinned suddenly following me.

I sighed with a smile "What game?" 

Moris scoffed, "Are we meeting there or what?"

I looked at him dumbfounded, "What are you talking about?" 

Moris laughed, "There's this concert tonight." 

I suddenly caught on, "Well I hope you and the empty seat next to you have a lot of fun." 

Morris shifted angrily, "I'm started to get a little irritated here."

I walked faster, "So am I." 

He kept up with ease, "Come on pretty, just one date!" 

I sighed exasperatedly, "Never never. I am never going anywhere with you ever."

Moris threw his hands in the air and stood in front of me forcefully, "You know, these tickets cost me a fortune." 

I shrugged, "Get a refund." 

Morris smiled smugly and grabbed my groceries out of my hands. 

I watched horrified, "What are you doing?!"

Morris grinned, "You'll get them back when you agree to go with me."

I scoffed and shook my head, "You're pathetic Morris. Keep the food. I'm leaving." 

He kept following me and in my head a plan formatted. 

I turned around to grab my books from Morris and froze stiff, Jack. Jack was across the road looking straight at me. 

"Jack?!" I called walking towards him and forgetting everything about my grocieries. "Jack, what are you doing here?!"

Jack turned around quickly, "I'm leaving."

I raced up to him and grabbed his arm, "Don't go."

Jack shook his head stubbornly, "I shouldn't have come."

I begged him frantically, I needed to hear his voice one last time. "No wait. Please, Jack!"

Jack scoffed angrily, "I feel like an idiot."

"Do you...know then?" I stuttered nervously.

He looked at me with eyes that were full of the pain of betrayal, "Yeah, I know. Spot told me ages ago...I knew long before the refugee."

I stood there with my mouth gawking half open like a cod fish. "And you let me stay?!"

"Yeah," Jack muttered, "Cause that took guts and I respect you for it...and I don't know...I guess I just thought..."

I bit my lip, "Thought what Jack?"

Jack shifted uncomfortably "Well I just thought...Well it doesn't matter now, cause I come all the way out here and I see you with him. That's just great."

I shook my head vigorously, "No, Morris was just . . ."

Jack interrupted briskly and started walking back the way he came, "I don't care."

I chased after him, "No listen! Jack! It isn't what you think!"

He stared at me, hurt plastered across his face, "He's got your food for ya Jan, hes carrying your things."

I shook my head frantically, " But-But! But he took them and wouldn't give them back. Please just tell me why you're here."

Jack didn't believe a word, "I don't even know."

I scowled at him angrily, "Yes you do."

Jack looked me over, "'Cause I thought you . . Forget it." He walked faster and started to jog.

I ran faster. I had always ran faster than the rest of them. I stood dead in front of him refusing him to leave, 

"No say it." I demanded.

Jack sighed shoving his hands in his pockets, " I thought you were trying to talk to me...before you left that is."

I looked away, "Oh."

Jack raised an eyebrow, "I mean, you spent every night up on my rooftop with me..."

I quickly shook my head, "That wasn't me."

Jack smiled a little bit, " It was you."

I shook my again with a knowing smile, "It must've been another James that looked like me."

Jack scoffed, "Listen. Why didn't you come back?! What was wrong with you?"

"Nothing!" I sighed closing my eyes, "I was upset and angry.." 

Jack was getting irritated, "That had nothing to do with me? Well I must have imagined it all then. Your boyfriend's waiting."

I frowned, "He's not my boyfriend. I hate him."

"Whatever." Jack sneered moving her out of the way and walking faster.

"Jack!" I yelled angrily.

"What?!" He snapped back.

"Stop." I ordered, my eyes furious and wild.

Jack stared me down hard and cold, sizing up how long I could keep him angry, "Why should I?!"

I broke down in sobs, "Because I love you, you idiot!"

Jack's expression went blank and I ran up to him, my shoes slapping the pavement.

I grabbed him by his shirt and kissed him hard on the lips. 

That was it, that was my first kiss. I had never kissed when I was dating, I had never kissed a real boy before. But here I was, standing in the middle of a street, kissing Jack kelly.

My Jack Kelly.