Chapter 10

I ran into the boys home with red eyes and messy hair. I was glad they were all asleep, at least I tried to convince myself that. I knew I was yearning for someone to come hug me and tell me everything was going to work out. 

I didn't sleep the whole night. I lay on the floor and stared at the sleeping boys in their bunks. It was funny to me how much they looked like brothers. They were a ragged army indeed but one knit together with the close bond of friendship. I couldn't imagine becoming one of them, I wasn't strong or brave or talented! I was timid, weak, and well....a sissy.

I didn't see Jack anywhere. I knew he was probably still awake on the roof. I didn't feel like facing him, lying to his face. I decided to channel my misery into somthing productive so i took of my cap and started cleaning up around the room. I smiled as I found Race tracks hidden supply of cigars under his bed frame, half peaking out. I picked it up and tucked it in my back pocket. I knew it was for his own good. 

With a smile I walked out to the window and opened it. I wondered how many other kids were looking out a window at the same star hoping for somthing better to come along. 

I must have fallen asleep at around 5:30 because the last thing I remembered seeing was a silver of the orange red sun coming up over the horizon. 

"Hey!" Race yelled, "Who took my cigar?!"

"You'll steal a nudder one anyways." someone mumbled. Races cheeks turned red and he pushed him over the bed. A whole bunch of boys laughed and carried on with their own conversations. 

Race smiled and helped the kid up. "Sorry, youse know I ain't the most agreeable in the mornings."

"Don't I know it!" The kid laughed. "You could just ask Race. I don't have em."

Race shrugged and reached for his hat. "Any of you boys see Jack come in last night?"

Everyone shrugged and shook their heads. I was only half awake and didn't feel like spoilin Jacks hiding spot.

Race came over and laughed, "Hey you bummers! Check out the new one! Fell asleep on the floor." He shook my shoulder jeeringly. "Wake up!" He laughed, "The day goes on weather youse awake or not." 

I groaned, pushing him away. "Five more miniutes Jack!"

Race laughs a grin emerging on his face. "You hears that fellas?! He thinks i'm Jack!"

He mockingly deepened his voice and put a serious look on his face. "Come on James wake up I need one of them Ambassadors to go to Brooklyn."

I opened one eye. "Go away Race." I mumbled pulling my hat over my head. 

"Yeah Race, scram." Said Jack who had appeared in the doorway. I sat up and grinned. "Hiya Cowboy!"

"Course, wakes up for Jackie..." Race mumbled, "But who wakes up Cowboy? I do."

I laugh, "Thanks for tryin Race. I ain't ease to get outta bed."

"Or off the floor," Race mumbled as he walked away. Jack helped me up, "Youse ready to go?" He laughed. I nodded and started heading for the door.

"Hold it!' He yelled. I froze and turned around. "Youse ain't goin with your hair like that!"
He threw me a small tin or hair gel. I held it awkwardly in my hands and smiled a timid smile.

"Yeah, right, sorry I haven't used this in a long time," I laughed awkwardly.

I walked over to the mirror and attempted to put on the gel best I could. I ended up looking like Frankenstein. Jack laughed, "Youse never gonna get a girl lookin like that!"

I blushed feeling a little sick on the inside. He tossed me the comb, "Hurry up," he yelled, "Papes ain't gonna sell themselves!"

 I combed it back and grinned in the mirror. I knew I was the best lookin newsie in all of New York. Well maybe except for my brother...

I wouldn't let myself think about him. I ran outside catching up with the group. I knew they were headed someplace for the once a week breakfast. I walked a bit slower enjoying the tall buildings and sights. I suddenly felt someone grab my shoulder and hoist me off the ground.

"Goin some where shrimp?" A ruff voice grumbled. 

I gulped as a second figure appeared infront of me with a menacing smile. It was Morris. My knees locked and my legs trembled but I stood firm. I was surprised pleasantly that I could be so brave. I steadied my legs and stood a bit taller.

"Look here! Wheres Cowboy?" Morris jeered. 

Oscar grinned, "No where near to save little Jamie now."

"What do you want from me?!" I yelled. "I swear if you touch me or any of the Manhattan Newsies i'll soak you!"

They broke into laughter but I didn't understand why. "Cut out the act kid. If youse don't wanna get caught for dressing up like a boy I'd shut up and fast. The bulls aren't real soft on the likes of you."

"How did you know?!" I cried.

My jaw dropped and for a moment I let my guard down. They took the opportunity and soaked me hard in the stomach. I felt the air go out of my lungs as I his the back wall. 

He held my shirt collar and whispered in my air. "How you think that Jack of yours would stand up to ten of us? Twenty?"

"There ain't twenty of you." I said, my voice chocked. He punched me in the stomach again and I doubled over in pain. 

"Pulitzer never lost the strike kid. He's got a offer for you." He grinned evilly. 

"I'd never do business with the scum of his kind!" I spat.

"Spoken like a true Newsie," Morris laughed, "Maybe this will give you some inspiration."

Oscar let go of my collar and put a metal contraption on his fist. "Pulitzer's got a secret gang of his own. Some of the worst criminals in the country. guys who ain't afraid to deal with some kids. He's got a fleet and less you talk to him, do what he says. He tells Jackie boy all bout your little secret and makes sure he doesn't live to tell the tale."

"No!" I screamed, "Don't hurt Jack! I beggin you if youse got any heart in there don't hurt Jack! Tell him! Sure I care. course I do but for gods sakes don't hurt him!"
They grinned their croked smiles and laughed, "Jack, Jack, more than a friend I think."

I rushed at him but he hit me so hard I fell on to the ground and couldn't get back up. "Consider Pulitzer offer girl. He'll be specting an answer by the end of the week." 

I didn't see what happened next but there was a whole lot of yelling and fighting. It seemed like Morris and Oscar were the ones running now. I felt someone shaking me awake.

"Jan!?" a worried voice called, "Jan?! Can youse hear me?! Janet?!"

I opened my eyes and smiled, "Spot?" I said in a horse voice.

He grinned,

"Nevah fear, Brooklyns here!"