Chapter 8

I took a deep breath as I woke up. Part of me hoped that it was a dream, part knew it wasn't and was glad. It wasn't until I realized that I wasn't alone anymore that after all this time I had someone to watch over me.

I used to tell myself I could do anything and it would be just fine. But when it got hard I'd lose my focus. But now I had Spot there reaching a hand out to help me out.

I sat up and fixed my cap. I was in desperate need of a shower and new clothes. I looked around, the room was nicer than any room I had ever been in before. What had I been thinking? Spot had a good life goin here, better than anything I could ever dream of. Now he had me to look out for, another worry to add to his list. I mean he was already lookin out for every Newsie in all of Brooklyn, what would he want with me?

I sighed and peaked my head out the door. I smiled when I picked up the small note that was precariously taped onto the front.

Don't forget, the docks tonight. We got alot of things to be catchin up on.

-Spot

I smiled, his handwriting was worse than mine. Genetics I suppose. I put the note in my pocket and looked at the clock on the wall. 

"Christopher Columbus!" I cried running out of the room to find my boots. It was way too late to get my papes. If I was lucky if I would be able to pinch them off another guy for nine pence.

By the time I ran all the way to Manhattan I knew I was too late. I spent the day kicking my feet in the gravel and wondering where the next meal was going to come from. I suppose I could ask Spot for some money and food...

No, I had imposed enough already.  

I didn't feel like going back to the newsboys home either, sure they were great and real swell and all but I didn't feel like sleeping in a room with 90  sweaty boys. So I climed up back to the top of the world. I was getting sick of this life already, I knew it wouldn't be long before I came crawling back to that stupid orphanage of mine.

I found Jack, sitting where he was last night plucking at an old guitar. My heart fluttered and my eyes gleamed with excitement.

"I didn't know you played!" I laughed sitting down beside him. 

"Yeah, it's a side of me most people don't get to see." he laughed.

I grinned, "You play real good Jack! I don't know why you wouldn't show the world this!"

He shrugged and kept playing, "The world is asleep in their beds, they don't care about some little thing I wrote."
My eyes widened, "You wrote this?!"
He smiled blissfully, "Yeah."
"Does it have words?" I asked eagerly searching his eyes from the same excitement and wonder about his music.

He nodded and laughed, "I suppose you want me to sing it now?"
I bit my lip and nodded eagerly. He laughed, smiled and pulled his cap down so I couldn't see his face. 

Then he began. It was the best song I'd ever heard in my entire life. His voice was soft, mellow and yet so comforting. I wanted to stare into the night sky forever. The melody was pure and soft, his eyes often peaked up from under the rim of the cap letting me get glimpses of his sparkling iridescent eyes seeking my approval. 

I felt tears brimming in my eyes but quickly turned my head so he couldn't see. I knew I didn't have to be afraid when I was with Jack, he'd keep me safe. I had always kept those same thoughts safeguarded in my heart. As long as I could think my way out I would make it through another day. I hung onto his every word, every note, every thought. For a moment I could feel his heart beating in time with my own in a single second of unspoiled perfect content bliss. 

I loved Jack Kelly. I admitted it now. I had fought it, I had only knew him two days. But to a kid in love two days is all you need to create an eternity. 

He sang louder now, his words with more emotion than I had ever heard anyone sing with. I knew that this was a moment I would never forget. Maybe I would stay with the Newsies a couple more days....I would be okay. I knew the fog would clear up, with a little help from Jack.

He strummed softer, singing in almost a whisper each word coming from the heart. I took a deep breath as I stared up at the stars. I realized that jack wouldn't ever know my secret, he couldn't.

The music ended abruptly and I snapped out of my trance.

"So..." He laughed awkwardly.

I just stared at him, how was he so blind to his own talent?

"Listen I know its bad..." He stuttered putting the guitar down.

I shook my head vigorously, "Jack that was the best thing I ever heard!"

He smiled and blushed, "Nah...Your probably too young to understand that kind of big kid stuff anyways."
I frowned, "I'm almost 14," I mumbled.

He smiled and patted me on the back, "You'll understand someday soon then."

I wanted to tell him that I already did understand, that I loved him more than the stars moon and Earth. But I remained silent. 

"Who was the girl Cowboy?" I asked nervously.

He shrugged, "Just a dream thats all, haven't met her yet. I'll know when I's do and youse will too."

I smiled and sighed, I loved watching...the sun....set?!

Oh no, Spot!

How could I have been so blind?! How could I forget?! 

"Jack I gotta go, I'll be back later!" I yelled jumping up and racing to the fire escape.

"Where you goin?!" He yelled after me. I looked up to enjoy the look of terror that I knew was going to appear on his face.

"To Brooklyn, I've got meself an Appointment with the King of Brooklyn! And i'm late!"