Chapter 7

I couldn't sleep that night. I couldn't stop thinking about Jack, and if he was worried about me. I knew he wasn't, why should he be? I was just the new boy who probably wander off and could take care of himself. He didn't know it was a small frail girl who never dared confess her love. But if it meant I got to keep living the life of a Newsie she would live with Jack not knowing I ever existed.

I needed guidance and now that one person knew my secret he seemed the only one I could turn too. he had been really sweet, offering my his own bed so I wouldn't have to sleep on the floor. Of course we had to wait till all the other boys were asleep so the the King of Brooklyn didn't look weak.

I got out of bed and tapped Spot on the shoulder. I will admit I was a bit afraid of waking Spot Colon from a dead sleep but some part of me knew he wouldn't mind too much.

At first he was outraged waving his hands all over and cursing at thin air. then one eye opened then the other I grinned at him and he pushed me away. Just like he good old days.

"Common Spot," I said practicing calling him by his title so I wouldn't mess it up infront of the others. "Common Spot please I cant sleep!"

He sat up and sneered, "Whatcha want pretty face."

I rolled my eyes, "you know I don't like sweet talk."

He rolled over, "Yeah, yeah," he mumbled, "I remember. Youse once gave Jimmy Nickles a knuckle sandwich for calling you real swell."

I grinned, pleased that he remembered. Then I paused, "Hey Spot, did you miss me? i mean if youse remember that stuff bout me..."

He nodded, "Yeah, yeah I miss you loads now get to sleep."

"I knows youse secretly like me," I laughed.

"I don't like no one. Like I said, I take care of meself." he stated.

After a few moments of silence he spoke, "Ya think ya could meet me down by the harbor tomorrow night? There's somthin I gotta show ya."

I nod with a grin, "I thought youse didn't care bout nobody but yourself."

He shrugged, "This ain't carin this is business."

I smile knowingly, "I'll be there."

Spot turned over and looked me dead in the eye, "You didn't answer me earlier,"

I feel panicked and spit out my words quickly, hoping he wouldn't notice. But he's my brother, he knows all my tricks, even before I knew them. "Answer to what?" I stutter.

"My three warnins. Youse ain't got a problems with any of them?" he states.

I gulp, Jack still lingers in the back of my mind. His mellow voice as it soothed me to sleep his eyes twinkling in Manhattans light.

"Jan you hear me?" Spot yells. I snap outta of it real fast. "Yeah Spot I ain't got any problems."

He nods knowingly, "Don't get in too deep little sistah. Otherwise I ain't gonna be able to dig you out."

"I know," I whisper trying to block Jack from my mind, "I know.