I hate fakers (Chapter 14)

Chapter 14 - I hate fakers

I lean up against a wall to wait patiently for Conrad.

I don't even know where he lives, so Im not sure how long it will take for him to get here. Realising this I slide down the wall to sit on the sidewalk as I pull my legs up close to me and put my head on my knees.

A few minutes later I hear screeching car tyres in the distance, before a midnight black Maserati Granca Brio comes to a sudden stop by the curb in front of me. The drivers door flies open and I catch a glimpse of the driver.

Conrad.

Conrad comes running towards me as I slowly stand, dusting my jeans off to greet him.

Conrad crushes me against him and holds me in a tight hug for a brief moment before dragging me to his car.

I must say, my boy definitely has nice taste in cars.

I sit in the passenger seat revelling in the luxury of this Itallian beauty when Conrad closes his own door and reaches over me to put my seat belt on. Im sure I would have managed to buckle myself in, but I don't say anything because Im pleased about his proximity.

That done, he finally takes a breath and asks "What were you thinking? Why didn't you call me? Why did you have to walk?" Conrad continues with his questions without giving me an opportunity to answer.

"What if someone attacked you?" Conrad asks and then pauses.

I gasp as realisation hits me and tears sting my eyes. Painful memories threaten to penetrate the defensive barriers I have taken months to construct. No! Not now, I plead with myself.

Conrad unbuckles my seat belt and pulls me to him for another hug when he asks "Are you ok? Did someone try hurt you."

I tightly clutch him not wanting to release him as the horrible memories begin to invade my thoughts. Someone hasnt tried to hurt me, well not tonight anyway. I shudder deeper into Conrad's embrace as I try to calm myself.

Memories of the darkest day of my life.

"Can we go somewhere to talk?" I croak my voice cracking a few times.

"Sure" Conrad replies as he places a light kiss on my forehead.

After buckling me in again, we drive in silence to the nearest diner.

As we take a seat in a quiet booth near the back of the diner a waitress comes over and Conrad orders us both a cup of coffee.

After I have had time to calm down, I don't feel like telling him my scarred past.

Its not that I don't trust Conrad, its just I feel so dirty when I have to relive those sordid memories. I just want his comfort for now.

I look across at Conrad who has a concerned expression on his face.

I stand up and make my way around the side of the table and sit on his lap. I know I probably look desperate and needy, but I really need him to just hold me.

Conrad eagerly wraps his comforting arms around me and whispers "You don't have to talk about it, if you don't want. We can talk about something else"

I look up at him with tears in my eyes and weakly smile as I mouth "Thank you"

Conrad pulls me close to him and asks "So how was your shift at the soup kitchen tonight?" trying to get my thoughts away from my dark past. I happily comply.

I tell him about my interesting conversation with my new friend, Eric and Conrad chuckles. This then leads into an explanation of what we will be doing at the childrens hospital tomorrow afternoon when he comes with me.

After that, I explain the whole Jayden situation. I tell him about Jayden's parents and how we view each other as siblings and nothing more. Conrad doesn't seem convinced but offers me an obligatory smile.

Im still sitting on Conrad's lap, when the waitress asks us if we would like anything else. I glance down at the coffee that I haven't touched, and notice it has already gone cold. I glance at the clock and realise it is getting late, and my father is probably wondering where I am.

"No thank you" I murmur as the waitress turns to leave.

"I think I better get home." I say to Conrad, not wanting to be apart from him.

Conrad nods and helps me up off his lap, before leaving a few bills on the table for our drinks.

Conrad drives me home, and I notice that he is a really good driver.

Almost, as good a driver as me. Almost!

When he pulls up in my driveway, my heart sinks as I realise we will now have to separate.

Before I can leave Conrad grabs my hand and pulls it to his lips whispering "Can I ask you something?"

I nod in response not being able to form words while he is kissing my hand.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he asks nervously.

My heart drops as my mouth forms an 'o'

I smile grandly and reply "Definitely" before I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him closer to me. I kiss his neck as he chuckles and then whisper "You're my knight in shining armour"

Conrad lets out a boisterous laugh that fills the car as he pulls away and says "I better go. Before your father comes out."

After we say our goodbyes, I walk into the house flicking on lights as I go.

"Dad?" I call out, but the house seems empty. My dad must be at a late business meeting.

"Jayden? Tyler?" I call out as I walk around downstairs. No one is home. That's strange.

I guess I will just phone them, so I pat my pockets to find my phone, but its not there.

Wheres my phone? I must have dropped it somewhere. Or maybe left it in Conrad's car. Yeah, its probably in Conrad's car.

Oh well, Im exhausted after today's dramas and just want to sleep. Dad and Jayden should be home soon anyway.

I glance at the hallway clock that reads 10.30pm, its late and Im beat. I turn the lights out and head up the stairs to my room.

I am so exhausted from my day that I climb into my bed fully clothed and slip under the covers where Im accosted by sleep.

I am in a blissful dream when a bright light pierces my sleep. I grit my teeth as I put my pillow over my face to block out the light.

"What.The.Hell!?!" I mutter into my pillow as I hear someone going through my desk drawers.

Whoever has walked into my room stops going through my stuff, which I will have a stern word to them about when I am fully conscious. No one has the right to go through my things.

After a short pause, I am pressed into the bed by a crushing weight that has me winded.

The intruder pulls the pillow away from my face as I squint from the light, and then look into familiar deep ocean blue eyes. Eyes that are puffy and specked with red.

Why has Jayden been crying? Before Im able to ask, Jayden pulls me into a tight hug that has me gasping as he rocks back and forth sobbing.

Jayden never cries. Something must be seriously wrong.

This has me worried.

Has something happened to my dad? Is that why he didn't answer my call?

I feel tears pool in my eyes and stream down my cheeks as my mind goes into overdrive over the different things that could have happened to my dad. I don't know what I would do if I lost my father. He means the world to me.

"Wheres my dad?" I whisper to Jayden as my voice cracks on every word.