8

I followed William up the stone steps to his family's massive castle. The grounds were more like a fortress than a home. I had never been invited to any of the preternatural events the royal family held in the castle. I had never been against going but I didn't push the issue either. Kinetics were feared for obvious reasons and to have one of the most powerful near Micah's queen was out of the question. As far as he was concerned, I would never be anywhere near Emma. I knew if he found out about this he would be furious. He might even attack but that was a risk I was willing to take.

I ran my fingers over the lilac lace wrapped around my waist. I wouldn't show how nervous I was but inside I was wrecked. So many things could go wrong. I could be killed on sight or taken prisoner. Then who would lead the kinetics? We would fall into a state of civil unrest. It was stupid of me to come here. So many things could happen and my race would suffer because of it. I was being selfish and I knew it. If I cared about my race, I would not pursue William.

But I did care about my race and I was still pursuing a life with William. I simply could not give him up. He was too important to me even if I was still upset with him for the Alex incident. I was more hurt than anything. I just wouldn't admit that.

"It will be fine," William assured me.

He slipped my hand into his and pulled it from my fidgeting. My attention fell to him but he only offered a light smile before continuing around the back of the palace.

I watched him out of the corner of my eye, feeling somewhat amazed by him. He was honestly one of the most complex vampires I had come across. Granted, I didn't know many personally but most were easy to read. William, however, was difficult. He was complex and his motives baffled me. Sure, I was his mate but he was willing to give up his rights to the throne he had been trained to take just to be with me. At least, I hoped he was willing to take that risk. I risked a revolt by being with him. Once word got out about our little romance I would have riots to deal with. I was certain my race would be in an uproar because of us but if they wanted the war to stop, they would have to accept change.

We walked slowly around the grounds, taking our time. It really was beautiful here but it wasn't home to me. If we did end up working out, I couldn't see myself here. I didn't want to leave my castle. It now held many sad memories but it also held the best memories of my father and I didn't want to give that up. I wasn't ready to let him go yet.

Sitting under a willow tree on a stone bench was the most beautiful and elegant woman I had ever seen. Her hair looked like it was spun out of gold falling in thick curls to her thin waist. Her skin was smooth and milky white with emerald eyes displaying her royal status. Queen Emma was so aesthetically pleasing, it almost hurt to look at her. It was clear, this was the source of William's angelic perfection. I felt like an ungraceful cow approaching this unbelievable woman.

Her emerald eyes fell to William for a moment as a warm smile kissed her lips.

"William," she greeted happily.

She stood to embrace her son but her attention quickly averted to me.

"This is Lilith," William introduced.

He placed his hand on the small of my back, forcing me to take a couple steps closer to his mother. I had never really felt nervous before but now I felt the anticipation rushing through me.

"Queen Lilith?" She asked of me.

"Yes, Your Majesty," I responded. The term felt strange coming from me since it was my title as well. I had never really used it with anyone else.

"Emma is fine," she corrected with a light smile.

I nodded once, unsure of how to respond to that.