10

Evelyn pushed me onto my balcony and closed the doors behind me. I didn't even have time to protest. I had never been pushed around in my entire life and now this princess wanders in my life and takes over. If I planned on staying with William, I would always have to deal with Evelyn.

I couldn't say that I would mind dealing with Evelyn though. She may be pushy but she and I got along and I didn't get along well with many people. Even Anastasia seemed to relax in the presence of Evelyn which was odd.

"Lynn, what are you doing here?" William asked in complete shock.

I couldn't see him but I could hear his voice. Just the sound of it sent a shiver down my spine. Even if he hadn't been my mate I would still be insanely attracted to him. I found it hard to believe that any woman would disagree with me.

"Oh, I just thought I would stop by. Come on, Anastasia. You can show me around some more," Evelyn prompted.

I rested my arms on the stone balcony and looked over my land. The sun had just set, leaving the sky colored in deep reds and oranges with a hint of midnight blue sweeping above the horizon. The cliffs along the back side of my castle fell into a lush valley covered in trees and green grass with small creeks throughout. I used to explore the valley with my father when I was younger but as I grew, our trips diminished. We still went, just not as often.

The French doors opened behind me but I couldn't quite build up the nerve to turn and look at him. I didn't know why I suddenly felt ridiculous in this dress but I did. I wasn't comfortable in it and I didn't want to wear it. Why did I even care if he thought I looked nice?

I heard him walk up slowly behind me and stop just before he reached me.

"So you called me over here but you won't face me?" He asked.

I half smiled at the horizon but pushed myself away from the balcony and turned to him. He surveyed Evelyn and Anastasia's work for a few moments. He didn't comment and his expression never changed from its ever stoic feature. He simply looked at me, head to toe and back again. His close examination made me anxious. I wished he would just stop looking at me or comment. Anything.

"I feel ridiculous," I muttered as I pat the sides of the dress.

"Why?"

"Because I let your sister dress me up and I called you and..." I trailed off, "I don't do these things."

He took the last few slow steps to me and slid his hands over my hips. He pulled me closer and placed his hand on my cheek, gently tracing my jaw with his thumb.

"You are the most perfect being that has ever existed."

How could he turn me into a complete girl with just a simple sentence? I never let my emotions get the best of me and now I was practically melting in William's arms.

I waited for him to say he was teasing or to take it back but he simply looked at me; his deep emerald eyes seemed to be assessing my reaction to his proximity, to his words, or perhaps just to him.

It hadn't occurred to me before that he might be unsure of my feelings towards him. I hadn't given him much in regards to how I felt about him but William was so confident that I forgot he might feel differently.

"Do you think so?" I asked.

"I know so."

"I'm far from it."

"Even if the rest of the world thought you were horrible, I would still think you are the best thing that happened to this planet. That's all that matters," he said confidently.