17

We made our way back to the room I had been held in. I was relieved to see both Evelyn and my father still in place. Evelyn looked slightly better but she was still exhausted and terrified.

Nathan left my side and went to sit next to Evelyn. I didn't pay attention to what he said to her but I knew I was going to hear it from Micah. He would be furious if Evelyn had a fling with a kinetic and would probably blame me for it.

My father approached me and threw his arms around me, pulling me into a tight embrace. I welcomed the hug. I thought my father was dead and now I had him back. I wanted to spend more time like this but we had to move quickly. We had to get Evelyn to her castle and I had to rally some reliable troops. I didn't know how far this rebellion went but I wasn't fully trusting anyone.

"How do we get out of here?" I asked.

"There are a couple ways. The most conspicuous being the front door," he joked.

I barely laughed at his bad attempt at a joke.

"There are tunnels, Your Majesty, but they lead onto wolf territory," Isaac informed me.

I groaned, "Of course."

"That might not be a bad thing, Lilith. How far into wolf territory?" My father asked.

"Just the boarder."

"We can make it out of there before anyone notices," Nathan chimed in.

I squeezed my eyes shut, still unable to really concentrate. I needed to feed but I couldn't do that unless I came across a human. Free humans were rare since they kept themselves relatively hidden but I hoped we happened across one.

"Okay. Let's go. Evelyn, are you okay?"

She scoffed, "I'm not helpless, Lily."

"I know," I responded, uncomfortable, "I didn't mean to offend you."

"You're just like William. No wonder you're mates," she mumbled.

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take offense to that but I didn't have time to contemplate her intentions.

"Isaac?" I questioned.

"I can lead us out."

"How close are we to the banks?"

"We're better off searching for a free human. The banks are too far."

I sighed, "Okay."

I would just have to conserve any energy and rely on others to help if we got into a rough situation.

I handed a gun to Evelyn and pulled my father's sword from my back. He took it appreciatively and without warning, he embraced me tightly. I was caught off guard but I hugged him back tightly despite how much it hurt.

"We gotta go," Isaac said.

Nathan handed me his shirt which I gladly accepted but it was huge on me. I knotted the bottom of the shirt so it wouldn't get in the way if I had to fight.

We all followed him through the winding halls for what seemed like miles. Of course, I was exhausted but still, I wasn't so tired that I couldn't run a few miles.

"Once we're out of the tunnels we have to move fast. The wolves will know we're here," Isaac said quickly.

The tunnel ended in a shallow lake and I could smell the stench of wolves everywhere. Foul creatures. Abominations, really. Vampire's hatred of kinetics didn't run nearly as deep as wolf hatred towards us. I had no idea why the wolves hated us as much as they did and I didn't care to know the reason.