9

"Don't go," William said quietly.

I turned to him. I didn't want to leave but it was obvious Micah did not want me here.

"I have to. You may think you've made your decision but you need to think about it more. This isn't just about us."

"I know that, Lilith. I also know that it would be best for the realm to stop these wars. We can stop them by joining the territories together again."

"Yes but that will result in civil war. At this point, I'm not sure which is better," I said softly.

I desperately wanted to be selfish but I knew I had thousands of kinetics depending on me to make the right decisions.

"Just think about it for a few weeks and make your final decision."

He he nodded lightly in agreement. I hoped he really did think this decision through. It shouldn't be taken lightly and I would be thinking it over in detail, weighing my options.

I turned and made my way to the front of the castle and over to my waiting black car. My driver opened the door and I slid into the back seat. I glanced over to see William watching my every move intently but he stayed put thankfully. I couldn't deny that my heart physically ached for him. I wanted him so badly but I would have to be smart about this.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A week passed without incident.

Two, then three, then five.

I was growing restless without William and I couldn't figure out why he hasn't contacted me. Micah was still holding off the wolves and as he promised, there were no attacks on kinetics. Still, I wasn't sure what happened to Alex and that bothered me. I wanted a say in her punishment or at least to know what her punishment consisted of. I wanted retribution for her crimes against me. I wanted her to pay for what she did to my father.

"Your Majesty," one of my council members attempted to get my attention.

I glanced across the black table at her while absently playing with my pen.

"Yes?"

"The budget?" She reminded.

I sighed and sat up straight, "What are they requesting?"

"Three million for the year."

"That's fine," I approved.

I watched Anastasia make a note from her chair as the budget meeting continued. These meetings held no interest for me at the moment because all I could think about was William. I didn't care if he had made his decision or not. I needed to at least hear his voice.

"Anastasia, may I see you in the hall for a moment?" I requested.

I didn't wait for her acceptance or to see her timid expression. I simply walked into the hall. Naturally, she followed and closed the door behind her. I placed my hands on my hips but didn't look at her.

"I need you to do something for me," I started.

"Did I do something wrong, Your Majesty?"

"No. I need you to do something and it has to stay between us. No one can know about it."

"Of course."

"I need you to find a way to contact the prince. I cannot stress your discretion enough. If Micah finds out about this, we risk a full scale war."

"Yes, Your Majesty. I will get started on it right away."

"Thank you, Anastasia."

With a graceful nod, she was on her way. I trusted she would find him quickly. I didn't pay her to be slow at her job. She had been with me for years and she never disappointed me. This would be no different.