Chapter 22: Dirty Thoughts And Disobeying (And Betrayal, Too)

Chapter 22: John's P.O.V

I slunk around the forest, my mind not part of my body.

Blood was dripping from my muzzle, and it was like I had tunnel vision, only seeing the things in front of me - yet sensing all movement around me at the same time.

All I ever thought of was blood, and there were hardly enough animals here to quench my never-ending thirst.

A deer moved in the distance.

Bad decision.

I raced through the forest towards it, and I could feel my paws hitting the ground hard. I leapt, using all the muscles in my hind legs to keep me going as fast as possible.

Before the deer had time to even think of running, I had landed on it and ripped it's throat out. I drained the deer in a matter of seconds, spotting another.

I lunged after it.

This was my life now.

Emma's P.O.V

I stared at the book. And stared at it.

And stared at it.

And stared at it.

I took a sip of my water bottle.

And then I stared at the book some more.

"Argh! I give up!" I threw my hands into the air before burying my face in them.

"Come on, Emma, you can't give up now! We've translated four whole pages - and it's only taken us a week!" Claire said triumphantly.

Janice sighed. "I think that that's exactly Emma's point. That it's taken us a week to translate four damn pages."

"In my opinion, I'd rather be out there with the boys," Sasha piped in.

"Yeah!" Janice agreed. "Look, I know that we are helping Theo by doing this - and trust me, helping Theo is great," she added, so that Natalie didn't get the wrong idea, "but honestly? I'm not meant for this stuff. You've seen me! Every time we can't figure something out, I just want to go wolf and rip the book apart."

"Right?" Natalie agreed. "Look, the sooner we figure this out, the better. I, I can't stand Theo like this forever-" she paused suddenly and looked down, trying not to cry.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

She took a moment, but then she looked up. She wiped the water out of the corner of her eye and sighed before answering. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry about that. But, still. Theo can't stay like this forever, and like I was saying - the sooner we get this done, the better - but it still frustrates the hell outta me."

I made an exasperated sound in the back of my throat.

"This is way difficult. And I just want Chris back," Sasha added. "Natalie, you must be going through Hell beyond Hell. If a week without my mate is tough for me, what must you be feeling?"

Natalie forced a smile. "'Hell beyond Hell'? You think? No, not even close, that's how bad it is."

"Wow....." Claire said quietly. "You're so strong. If it was me in that position, with Roy like that, then I would be a lifeless ball of un-moving crap right now."

"You're calling me strong?" Natalie asked, surprised. "Me, the one that almost cries every five seconds when I think about him?"

"Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about! Almost cries. You always seem to be able to pull yourself back before you do."