Chapter 17 - November

Kellin's POV

Two Years Later - Wednesday

I took my suitcase out from my closet, and started to pack my things. I was twenty and finally leaving home. My band mates and I had decided to move in together, to focus on music. Our band had been rapidly growing and we needed to buckle down and start our second album. 

As I cleared out my wardrobe, I was about to shut the door when I saw a yellowing piece of paper on the floor. A lump rose in my throat. 

It was the letter. 

Glowering at the paper, I slammed the wardrobe door. I shook the thoughts of her out of my head. 

But no matter how much counselling and shaking my head I did, I could never get her completely out of my head. She was always at the back of my mind. When I was alone with nothing to do, I could sometimes sit for hours thinking about her. 

Wondering where she was. What she was doing. If she was still alive, even. If she still thought about me. Remembered me. 

I was angry, but I was sad too. But my sadness was cloaked by my anger, buried, as I tried to lessen the pain for myself.

If I was being truly honest, it never really went away. I just got used to it.

An hour later, I threw the last of my clothes into another suitcase. All my belongings in three suitcases. Right on cue, my dad opened the door, silently helping me drag my stuff outside. 

"Now, you make sure you call us every day." My mom said sternly as I got into my car. It was a cute little second-hand BMW I had managed to swipe for a few grand. It needed work but my dad's friend fixed it for free. 

"Yes mom." I said, grinning. "I will call you every month or so."

She gasped. "You better not."

"I'm kidding mom, relax." I replied as I rolled my eyes. 

"I just can't believe your all grown up, and your band is going so well. I'm just happy for you." She said. 

My dad wiped away her waterworks and looked to me. "Don't go down the wrong path. Don't make dodgy friends. Be careful." 

"I will." Then I started to pull out of the driveway, stopping to shout 'I love you,' and 'goodbye,' one more time. 

I drove for a minute, but the haunting memories of the letter wouldn't leave me alone. Swearing and cursing at myself, I stopped my car in the middle of traffic, and did an illegal U-turn. I sped back toward my parent's house, finding they were only just going back inside. 

Stopping the car, I got out and ran up to them. "I just forgot something." I said, brushing past them and running upstairs. 

I opened the wardrobe and picked up the letter, running my hands over the smooth paper. 

I was so angry at myself for coming back to get the letter, when she couldn't even be bothered to come back and get me. I wanted to rip it up right there, but I couldn't. Just like I could never truly hate her. 

Slipping the letter into my pocket, I paced back downstairs. 

"What did you forget?" My dad asked, confused as he couldn't see anything in my hands. 

"Nothing." I said. "I just thought I left my hoodie in the wardrobe."

They seemed to believe my excuse. We said our goodbyes again, and I drove off. This was going to be a very long drive, five hours at the least. 

I just couldn't wait to get there and see my friends. Jack, Justin, Gabe, and Nick always kept my mind distracted. But when I was writing, I couldn't help but let my emotions spill out. It was everything I kept bottled up being released. 

__________

"Every day is all the same // Like no matter what the reason is the seasons never change // I think of all the time I spend // Drifting far away and zoning out as I'm clocking in."

"Tell my loved ones that I wish them well..."

"There's a fire in this November sky // It's burning up, burning up // They'll remember me tonight // There's a fire in this November sky // It's building up, building up // They'll remember me tonight // In this town // In this town."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa..."

"Their alarms ring in the sky // The voices sing the lullabies as the ashes learn to fly // And this will be my holiday // No more living with my fears 'cause I gave them all away."

"Tell my loved ones that I wish them well..."

"There's a fire in this November sky // It's burning up, burning up // They'll remember me tonight // There's a fire in this November sky // It's building up, building up // They'll remember me tonight // In this town // In this town."

"And the flames are running high // Red flashing lights light up the sky // And they will run to where they collide // And melt away into the night..."

"There's a fire in this November sky // It's burning up, burning up // They'll remember me tonight // There's a fire in this November sky // It's building up, building up // They'll remember me tonight // In this town // In this town."

"Whoa, whoa // They'll remember me tonight in this town // Whoa, whoa..."

I wrote that song for Jinx last year. We performed it often, and although I never mentioned to our fans what the meaning behind it was, they seemed to love it. They knew it was something special, and sad to me. 

We had just decided to practice it, since we performed it so much. 

"Nice one guys." Justin grinned as he high-fived us all.

Yup. That's what my life was now. All my emotions poured into my music, practicing, performing, practicing, performing again. Then there was the lonely nights that broke the cycle, where I would start thinking about her again...

__________

I just recently heard 'November' and I really liked it. Before that, I only listened to SWS's old music. Although their new stuff is a lot lighter, it's still pretty good. Hope you enjoyed this chapter Unitatoes~