Chapter 8 - Early Morning Confessions

Kellin's POV

Saturday

I woke up early that morning, to see Jinx standing up and staring into my mirror. She was already changed, her light makeup had been reapplied, and she was brushing her green hair softly. She hadn't yet noticed I was awake, so I continued to watch her.

She slipped something out of her pocket. It was a small round container, that opened with a twist.

With confusion, I watched as Jinx picked out a pill, and quickly gulped it down. I knew she wouldn't have wanted me to see that. I knew she wouldn't have wanted me to ask. But I couldn't help it.

"What was that?" I asked quietly.

She jumped at the sound of my voice. "Nothing."

"I saw the pill." I said.

"Good for you." She said sarcastically.

That was her only way of coping whenever I asked questions she didn't want to answer. Trying to turn things around, or using sarcasm, even just making jokes so she didn't have to feel so serious.

"Are we friends?" I asked, already knowing her answer. I just wanted to hear her say it.

"Of course." Jinx replied, rolling her eyes.

I stood up and moved over to her, staring at her in the mirror. "Then tell me; what's that pill for?"

"No. It's embarrassing since you won't get it at all unless you experience it." She said. "And I don't want you to think I'm a wuss."

I chuckled. "I could never think you were a wuss even if I tried."

"They're just pills for my nightmares." She said.

"Oh." I didn't know what to say, until the thought came to me. "Then why don't you take them before you go to sleep, instead of in the morning?"

"Sometimes they ... slip into my waking hours." She said uncomfortably. "Minor hallucinations."

My eyes widened marginally before returning to their normal size. That was such a big thing that she hadn't told me about. I mean, I understand it's hard to bring those things up, but sometimes I felt like she knew so much about me and I knew almost nothing about her.

"What else are you hiding?" I asked, feeling a hurt that I had to convince her to open up to me. Was I not approachable enough? Did I not seem nice enough, or trustworthy enough to her?

"You act as if your my parent." Jinx chuckled.

I left her side and sat back down on my bed. "Well, I just..." I knew what I wanted to say, I just didn't know if I should say it. I thought it all the time. "I know like nothing about you when it comes down to it. I mean; I'm grateful for the things you told me, but it's still so unbalanced. You know nearly everything about me."

"I guess your right." She said in a small voice. "I just don't like talking about my life. I don't like being vulnerable like that. And to tell the truth; the more I tell you, the more your getting mixed up in my life, my problems, my habits, and all the bad things that come with being around me."

"Just talk to me." I said. "I'm just being curious. Maybe a little too curious. That's just me though; that's just the way I am. I-I like finding out things about you Jinx, because I know that not many others know them. And I want to help you with a lot of things, but I can't, because I don't know what's going on in that mind of yours."