Chapter 2 - The Not So Dreamy Day Dream

Kellin's POV

Next Week - Thursday

Staring out the window, I was lost in a daydream. In my daydream, a police car had pulled up in front of the school, and they had dragged the girl with the neon green hair out of it, taking her past my classroom and into the main office.

Yes – the green haired person was actually a green haired girl. She was one of two women in the gang that had shot up Walmart last week. If you could even call her a woman. She was only seventeen. How did I know that?

Well, after the Walmart incident, I was watching the news to see what had become of them all.

They had been caught of course. They news reporter said that there was a warrant out for their arrest; as a group; and individually. Every single one of them had been put behind bars for many different offences.

For a few seconds they had flashed each prison mugshot on the screen.

That was when I had first seen the girl with the green hair up close. I thought my curiosity would be quenched after that, but it was still there.

I had a nosy around the Internet, checking out some previous articles about the gang. The girl must have been a recent addition, because few of the news reports included her. The timeline of reports showed me she had joined two years previous to the Walmart incident.

Now, she was seventeen. My age.

I thought of how different our lives were. How had I come to be like this? How had she come to be like that? Some part of me was in awe of her, jealous of her exciting and risky life. The other part of me was scared, and relived that I hadn't turned out like that.

In my daydream, the girl turned up in my class a few minutes after heading to the main office.

Two policemen had a word for the teacher, before leaving, and sternly telling the girl to sit down and be quiet. She sat down next to me.

I shook my head to clear my daydream, but to my surprise, the image of her sitting there did not waver. I frowned. I needed this illusion to disappear so I could get back to doing my work. But no matter how much I blinked, every time I opened my eyes she was there.

Was this real? Am I not daydreaming? Then it hit me that I wasn't hallucinating. She was really there. The girl with the neon green hair was sitting beside me.

The thought didn't cross my mind that she hadn't chose to sit next to me, but rather she had been told to.

"Stop looking at me, fuckhead." That was her lips moving.

That was her talking to me. The first words she shared with me after she had been on my mind for so long were; Stop looking at me, fuckhead. I laughed. She turned to me with a dangerous glint in her eyes. I stopped laughing. I felt scared, but strangely alive as well.

"Sorry. Jinx." I said.

When I said her nickname, she shot me a glare. "How do you know that?"

"Internet told me." I replied with a shrug. "So, what are you doing here?"

Jinx looked at me in disbelief. "As if I would tell you. Get lost."

"Well, it's actually impossible for anyone to get lost. Because if you keep walking it's always possible for you to find your way back to your destination."

She seemed like she wanted to keep her silence, but she couldn't. "Of course it's possible to get lost." She spluttered. "You idiot! The definition of lost is; Unable to find one's way, not knowing one's whereabouts."

A few minutes later when we hadn't said anything, she glared at me.

I chuckled. Did she only just realise I had tricked her into talking to me?

"So, get anything from Walmart?" I asked cheekily. She ignored me, biting her lip and staring at the desk.

Maybe that was rude of me to bring that up... I mean, I didn't know her. I didn't know why she had done that. Instantly my guilt caused me to backpedal. "Sorry. That was a dumb thing to say."

Still no reply.

I poked her. "But seriously, why are you here?"

No answer.

"It's fine if you don't want to talk. I can probably talk for you anyways." I said, pretending I didn't care that she wasn't responding to me. "So, Jinx, why are you here?" I asked again. Before I could reply in a terrible impression of her voice, she stood up, and simply walked out.

Maybe I had taken that a little to far. She obviously didn't like being questioned.

I looked to the teacher to see what he was going to do about her walking out. I found he was staring right back at me, shaking his head, and glaring. I looked away. Okay, so that was definitely my fault.

After quietening the class down, he left to go and get her.

When he left the class and closed the door, the room was so silent I could have pinpointed each individual person's breathing. And then suddenly everyone errupted into chatter.

I didn't think anyone else knew who she was. They were all to busy wrapped up in their own lives that they hadn't bothered to check the news, to see what was going on. They didn't know the girl with the neon green hair – Jinx. They hadn't dug around for information like I had.

But I had to ask myself. Did that make me the weird one, or them the weird ones?

It was to bad neither Justin nor Jack were in my English class. I could really use someone to talk to, to get these overwhelming thoughts out of my head.

Five minutes later, and Jinx returned, the teacher following behind her.

Unfortunately, there was no where else for her to sit except for the seat beside me, so she had to sit back there again. One look from the teacher told me that if I set her off again it would be bad news for me. I gulped. I wasn't used to being in trouble for such a minor thing. Usually I was only in trouble for skipping class.

"So you searched me up on the internet. Weirdo." Jinx said quietly as she doodled in the margins of her book.

I arched an eyebrow. "Your weirder than I am." I replied.

Neither of us were looking up, and we were hardly moving our lips, our words only just loud enough for the other to hear. We were pretending we weren't talking to each other. But, no matter how much we tried to avoid that fact; we were acknowledging the other's existence.

"Your an ass, you know that?" She glared at the pages of her book as if it were me.

"The nicest ass there is." I said proudly.

Was I just imagining it, or did the ghost of a smile flickered across her face? Had I, a lowly stranger to her, made the corners of her lips turn upwards in amusement?

It was gone as quickly as it came. But it had been there, and that was all that mattered.

For the rest of the day we bickered harmlessly. Sometimes her words were intended to hurt but I always brushed them off. As the day wore on she seemed to become annoyed; exasperated even; by my lack of a reaction, so she stopped talking to me during last period.

I didn't much care. I'd already talked to her for the whole day.