Chapter 6 - The Classroom Loner

Kellin's POV

Tuesday

I chuckled as I walked to school, remembering the looks on my parent's faces. Instead of being mad at the fact that I skipped school, they were swooning, telling me about the days they used to do that too. My mom wouldn't stop asking me if liked her though.

Throughout yesterday afternoon, and this morning, she'd pop the question out of nowhere; 'So, is Jinx your girlfriend?' she'd tease. And I'd reply in the most calm voice I could muster even though my face had tinted pink. 'No mom. It's not like that.' She'd smirk at me, 'But you want it to be like that?'

I shook my head, no. Well maybe. She did intrigue me, but I hardly knew anything about her when it came down to it.

How could I like someone I didn't know?

So, in that moment I was safe, when I didn't know her; I was safe. But the more I learnt about her, the more she drew me in. The more I knew, the more I wanted to keep knowing, my curiosity boring holes in my skull as my brain begged to release it all.

I suddenly couldn't bear the thought of seeing her that morning.

Instead, I went to the music room. Jack and Justin were glaring at me as I approached them, sitting down against the wall, cutting off their conversation when I got close enough to hear them.

"What the fuck? Where were you yesterday? We tried calling you, texting you, everything!" Justin exclaimed.

"I skipped." I said sheepishly. "I didn't want to dissect the frogs in my biology class."

His expression faltered, but he remained annoyed. "Well, come and get us next time, okay?"

"Or at least answer your phone." Jack said.

"I'm sorry. I'll come get you if I want to skip class again."

After that, it took us a few minutes to relax. I didn't realise how much it would affect them; which was stupid. We were best friends. Nothing ever got in the way of that. Of course they were going to be anxious when I didn't show up to meet them in the morning, or at breaks. Of course they were going to be annoyed when I didn't answer their calls.

Jinx wasn't at school today, which was a relief.

I wanted to hang out with her at break, but I also wanted to hang out with Jack and Justin. And I didn't even know if she would want to hang out with people she didn't know. I didn't know if she would even want to hang out with me, let alone Jack and Justin. And asking her would be awkward enough for me anyway.

First class was music. It was boring without Jinx sitting next to me, making spiteful comments about our classmates, doodling in the margins of her book. I felt myself flashing back to two weeks ago, when my classes had always been this lonely. Even though Jinx and I didn't always talk much, just her being there dimmed the loneliness.

My whole day was a bore, even at lunch when I was with Jack and Justin. I couldn't stop wondering where Jinx was.

It seemed that I had never been able to catch a break from thinking about her, ever since I saw that neon green mop of hair shooting up the fucking Walmart.

My schedule for that Tuesday was something like this. Music, science, break, math, art, break, and finally English at the end of the day. As soon as I had looked out the window and saw the buses lining up outside the school, I had grabbed my bag and darted from class when the teacher wasn't looking.

I was eager to get home. I just wanted this torturous day to end already.

__________

Aghhh my Unitatoes~! I hope you enjoy :D