Chapter 22

~Bleeding Roses~

Chapter 22

Dinner was quiet. All that could be heard was silverware clinking on plates, and Jake’s words echoing in my mind over and over again. 

Jake is Jace’s brother. I can’t believe I never noticed it before-they look so alike! I suppose it doesn’t really matter. 

I thought I had been falling in love with Jace. Our relationship was very, very complicated, but I thought maybe there had been at least something there. I guess I was wrong. 

It makes me wonder, though. I mean, had all the time I spent with Jace been a lie? Was he kidnapping me? I had never really thought about it. When I woke up in that plane, I had thought that Jace was the kidnapper at first, but he told me about Delos and I immediately believed him. Why did I do that? I know even less about him than I know about Delos-why had I immediately believed him?

Jace says he rescued me from Delos, but he never told me he was Delos’s son, that he had a brother named Jake, I know nothing of his past, and I most certainly do not know his motives for ‘rescuing’ me. Although now I am quite certain that it was not rescue at all. 

I suppose I should not worry so much. I should just enjoy this meal-steamed fish with lemon sauce and onions-that some unseen, faceless member of this household had prepared. 

I had questions. And the silence was deafening. So I decided to ask them. 

“Delos...” I began.

“Yes, darling?”  

I briefly smiled, before continuing my inquiry. “Who are you?”

“Delos. You already know that, dear.” He smiled at me gently. 

“No, I mean, like, what do you do for a living, what is your past like, why do you live in Paris, what is all your family, you know, your life...” 

“I don’t work anymore, I am filthy rich,” he took a moment to grin at me, and I tried to smile back, but I’m pretty sure it came out as a grimace. I don’t like braggy guys that boast about their money. “So of course I don’t work. I used to work as a bounty hunter, I hope that doesn’t bother you, killing only criminals, don’t worry, that is how I got so much money,” grin, “I live in Paris because it is the city of lo-o-ove,” leer, “I have three grandkids, John, Jake, and Jackie, Jake and John are products of my daughter, Lisa, and Jackie is the product of my son, George. My wife died awhile back and I was quite lonely, so that is why I entered that chat room. I just wanted someone to talk to.” Grimace. “That is all.” 

I took a moment to digest all of this. I wasn’t sure how I felt about him anymore. I mean...a bounty hunter? Don’t they go around and torture innocent people? I mean, I know Delos said that he only ‘killed’-see that word, there?-criminals, but maybe he was only saying that. I don’t know what to do. 

“I see...” I said slowly, “I’m feeling kind of tired, Delos, do you mind if I go to my room and rest?” 

“Of course, sweetheart.” 

“Thank you. Do you think you could perhaps call someone to escort me? I don’t...ah, I don’t exactly remember where my room was. It’s a big house, you know.” 

“Of course. JORDAN!!!” he yelled. A small, dark figure hurried into the room. His-or her-whole body was encased in a dark gray cape, with much of it dragging on the floor, and I could not see a bit of their face.  But when they spoke, their voice sounded very young and boyish. 

“Yes, master? What do you need? Is it time for your pleasures, aga-” 

“JORDAN!!!” Delos yelled again, interrupting the poor boy (I think). 

Pleasures? I wonder what he means by that. I looked at Delos uneasily, and he was quick to give me a reassuring smile. But I was not reassured. I was starting to feel the bad vibe coming from Delos. 

“Jordan, please take Anne back to her quarters.”

“Yes, master.” 

I got up slowly out of my seat, and walked towards the door. 

***

*Third Person POV*

“Where do you want to eat?” 

“How about that fancy French restaurant over there?” Ellie pointed to expensive-looking place across the street. 

Jace shook his head at her. “McDonald’s it is.” 

Elizabeth sighed. Why was Jace being so difficult? 

“Don’t act like that, El. We barely have any money, how are we supposed to pay for that?” 

Elizabeth didn’t answer. Ever since Jace had found the lifeboat and paddled them to safety, he hadn’t stopped worrying about Annie. It was Annie this, Annie that. I just wanted to kick Annie in the Aynnieus! 

I can’t think like that, Elizabeth thought. It is improper of a lady. A lady does not think such rude thoughts. I must think of Jace, and how caring he is to worry about his friend. 

“Look! Look at that!! At that club, if you win that contest, we can get two free tickets to Paris!” Jace exclaimed, grabbing Elizabeth’s arm and dragging her towards the flashing lights. 

“But I thought we were going to eat...” Ellie mumbled sadly. 

*Back to Annie*

“Jordan?” 

“Yes, ma’am?” 

“What do you know about Delos?”

“He is my master.”

“Jordan, are you a slave?” 

“I am a servant.” 

I frowned. “Do you get paid?” 

“No, ma’am.” 

“Then why do you stay here?” 

“If I leave, Master Delos will send his hounds after me. The hounds will find me, and if they don’t rip me to shreds, Delos will whip me bloody and force me to perform more Pleasures on him.” 

I stopped walking, stunned. Maybe...maybe Jace was telling the truth? Oh, why is everything so confusing!! I just want to go home! Why, oh why, did I come to Paris in the first place?!

The hall I was standing in was expensively furnished. A red carpet with gold designs flowed down the hallway, and pictures of Delos as a lion decorated the walls. I looked at a painting more closely. Delos was obviously naked, with a lion’s mane, tail, and claws. Other than that he was completely hairless...everywhere. What odd pictures. And the worst part is that there were tons of them, lining the hall. 

I shook my head, then focused my eyes on Jordan, not allowing myself to look at the portraits. A little ways away, instead of a Delion, there was a mirror. I gazed at myself for a moment, my silky black locks falling over my shoulders in a tangled mess. 

My heavily framed violet eyes looked sad and spooked. It looked as if I were going to burst into tears at any moment. I pursed my lips and crossed my arms over my purple silk covered chest. I was wearing a long, flowing purple silk dress that went all the way to the floor, and white slippers underneath. 

Abruptly I turned away from the gilt-framed mirror. There was no reason to stare at myself. It would only depress me more. 

I hurried down the hall, leaving Jordan behind. The dress flowed out behind me, my ringlets streaming. I don’t understand what was wrong with me...tears fell down my cheeks as I squeezed my eyes shut. 

-------

Author’s Note: 

Hi!! I’m sorry I haven’t uploaded in so long. I know you don’t want to hear my excuses, but thank you for sticking with me, and please believe me when I say that I’ve gotten my inspiration back to uploads will definitely be more frequent!!!