Just Plain Old Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

 My hand rose to my cheek in shock. Did he just…he did, didn't he? And here I thought he was the angel. But he's not. He's just another Delos in disguise. 

He stared at his own hand, disbelief written all over his face. 

"Annie, I didn't mean it, I mean I didn't mean to do that…it wasn't me, I…" 

"It wasn't you?" I spoke quietly, my voice emotionless, my face blank. "Then who was it, Jace?" 

He gulped. "I don't know."

"Golly, Jace, I-" 

"Did you just say 'golly'?" The hint of a smile tugged at his lips, and you can kill me if you think I didn't want to wipe it right off of his stupid face. 

"Yeah, I did. Would you have preferred for me to say 'fuck you'? 'Cause that's what I was thinking."

"Don't be like that."

"Don't be like that?!" I exploded, "How can I not be like that?! You just slapped me!"

"No I didn't."

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

I saw Jace's eyebrows raise in shock. 

"That's right, I'm not a fucking good girl. If you thought I was, you are sorely mistaken. Look: fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck."

"Fuck." 

I glowered. He sighed. 

"Annie-"

I didn't wait to hear what he was going to say. I skipped town, and by that I mean I walked stiffly into the 'kitchen'. As we were on a boat, we didn't have a real kitchen of course, but I meant the place where kept the food. 

I quickly searched the cabinets, looking for anything I could eat. I hadn't eaten since two nights ago, seeing as I woke up bouncing on Jace's shoulder, and my day just kept getting crazier. Last night I already recounted everything that had happened, but there was so much I probably didn't get it all. I just knew that I was being hunted. And I didn't like it. 

But I hope that now that we are on this boat I can relax. No one could find me out here, hopefully not even Delos. 

Well, I had hoped. But now, after being slapped, I wasn't so sure that this would be as enjoyable and carefree as I'd hoped. 

And I couldn't forget about flirty Elizabeth, either. 

~A~B~C~D~E~F~G~H~I~J~K~L~M~N~O~P~Q~R~S~T~U~V~W~X~Y~Z~

I didn't find anything in the cupboards except some crackers. Which sucks. Balls. And there was only one package. And it was already open. And when I went to eat one, Elizabeth darted in and grabbed it from my hand then stuffed it in her mouth. And there was no food left. Which sucked. Balls. 

I hate this! The boat isn't so bad, but it's my life that sucks balls! Even before I went to Paris I was living a horrible life!

 ***Flashback***

"Mommy, mommy!" I wailed. 

"What do you want, child?" my mother said irritably, grabbed her briefcase and sticking a pacifier in my mouth, even though I was nine.

"Mommy!!!! I fell down! Look at it, look at it!!!" Just under my knee was a long, bloody scratch. 

"It makes you look beautiful, girl. And we Roses always have to look beautiful. And also, when we go to my workplace don't call me Mommy. Call me Ms. Rose." 

"But-"

"Now, hush."

I sniffled, standing up. I took a few steps before I tripped over my shoelace again. 

"Moooooooommy!!!" 

"Miss Rose."

I shrieked, rolling on the floor.

"Steve! Get down here, you're daughter is having a fit!"

"Why is she my daughter all of a sudden?!" 

"She has always been your daughter, Steve, don't be absurd."

He sighed and walked over to be. He bent down so that is face was very close to mine and I could smell his breath. 

"Shut up, child. Do you hear? Shut up. And never bother us with any of this nonsense again."

And it that moment, my watery eyes stared up into my father's and I was quiet. I didn't say anything as they walked out the door. I didn't say anything for three weeks after. And I most definitely didn't say anything that they considered 'nonsense.'

***End of flashback***

~A~B~C~D~E~F~G~H~I~J~K~L~M~N~O~P~Q~R~S~T~U~V~W~X~Y~Z~

Author's Note: 

Hi, everyone. I got my comments, but I didn't get my votes. Which is strange. You would think people would vote more than comment. But anyway. 

I have a new reader! Tiger123. I dedicated this to her, and I uploaded this for her too. 

But…

Unless I get another new reader, I need: 

3 votes

2 comments

Fair enough, right? That is what I need for another upload. But the more I get, the longer the next chapter will be...