Chapter Five: Definition

Positive. adj.
pos·i·tive \ˈpä-zə-tiv\
Having a good effect; Marked by or indicating acceptance, approval, or affirmation

Alexis had grown to be positive in her life. Although she lost a lot of people at an early age, she still felt blessed to having found a family in her bestfriends and having built a family of her own with Wolf.

She had been happy because the positivity that the people who loved her gave her always filled her with warmth.

Positive was such a good word for her. It symbolized the optimism she felt every time something bad happened. It was what pushed her forward.

But now she felt stuck. Because now it was also symbolized by the two pink lines that was staring back at Alexis.

And now, according to the box, it came with, there was a one percent chance that this was in fact a lie.

But it was 99% sure that Alexis was pregnant.

Alexis looked up and stared at herself in the mirror. She was wearing boxers, which she took from Wolf's luggage, and a thin white racerback because it was pretty humid. She finally had a moment alone after the festivities of Chandria and John's wedding.

The newlyweds were off to their honeymoon, leaving their guests for another night to rest in the island hotel. Alexis spent most of her time during the reception sticking close to Elizabeth because she didn't want her friend to feel alone and to make sure no rude guest made unwanted remarks to her.

Wolf, being the understanding husband that he was, spent some time with the childhood friends he and Chandria shared from when they both lived in Australia. He apparently ended up getting drunk with them and someone had helped Alexis bring Wolf back to their suite.

So after helping Wolf to bed, Alexis had once again locked herself in the bathroom with the purse containing the pregnancy test. And for the first time, something positive scared her.

Alexis was scared to be a mother.

It was part of the reason why she didn't want to have children yet. She felt unprepared to be one and had hoped that with maturity, the bravery to be a mother would eventually come to her.

She had grown up without having a mom, without knowing how it felt like to have her own mother hug her, tell her everything was going to be all right, comfort her when she was down and so on. Sure, her Papa did his best to fulfill both roles as she was growing up. But there are some things only another woman, especially your own mother, would only understand.

And Alexis was scared, really, really scared. She had no mother while she was growing up, and she was terrified that she would be a horrible mother when the time came.

Hence, using her studies as an excuse, she had talked to Wolf about waiting before they had children of their own. And Wolf respected her wishes.

But now it was happening.

Alexis slowly lifted her top, exposing her stomach as she stared at her reflection. She felt herself panic. Tears welled up from her eyes as she gently put her hands on her stomach, as if to caress her unborn child.

Yes, she was scared. But this was the beautiful baby that she and Wolf brought to life. Inside her was the baby she knew Wolf had been waiting for, the baby she may be scared shitless for right now but she knew she would love no matter what.

Despite her tears, Alexis finally smiled.

This circumstance was unexpected but it was something she knew she was now wholeheartedly accepting. And if positive meant acceptance, then this baby really was positive.