Rumor Has It

I really liked writing this chapter, :3

____________

"So how did your date go last night?"

"It wasn't a date Niall, it was studying.. and then dinner.. with my family."

"Sounds like a date to me." He said under his breath.

I sighed shoving my things into my locker and pulling out my Literature book. I left Niall alone in the hall and took my seat in class. I swear, that boy said he just wants to be friends, but when I start hanging out with Harry suddenly Natalie is a very popular girl.

Harry walked into class and took a seat without so much as glancing in my direction. Well then, nice to see you too! Stupid troll.

When class was over I rushed after him and finally caught up with him at his locker.

"Harry, hi." I huffed out of breath, he smirked and looked down at me.

"Well hello." Alright, so maybe I overreacted about him not saying hello. My bad.

Molly and her nasty friends walked by us laughing, I didn't think anything of it until some girls I had no idea existed walked by whispering and staring at us.

"What's that about?" I questioned looking up at the tall boy next to me. He wouldn't make eye contact with me but instead shrugged.

"Harry." I said more sternly hoping to get an answer.

"She's starting rumors about us." I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and looked up at him.

"Like?"

"NATALIE!" Perrie rushed up next me and grabbed my arm pulling me away from Harry.

"Perrie wha-"

"Do you know what people are saying about you right now?"

"No?"

"I almost punched a freshman girl because she pissed me off. They're saying you're Harry's new, excuse my words, skank."

"But I-"

"Oh no that's not all, they're also saying you're having sex with Niall too."

"So they're saying I'm a whore." I whispered looking around. Seriously? I haven't even been here that long.

"Yes. Now I know the truth, but no one else knows that. Except for our little group obviously."

"Well thanks for telling me.." This is high school, why did I think this year could be any different? Teenage girls are like vicious animals.

"Natalie.. There's there is one more thing.. They know about your dad."

I froze, I can handle the whore rumors, but when people know something about my past, that scares me.

"That's okay.. It'll be okay." I mustered out even though she could tell I was lying.

Niall came rushing in with an expression I've never seen on him before, was that anger?

"So you're shagging Harry now is that it?!" He said loudly enough for most of the people in the hallway to stop and stare at us.

"No, how could you think that?"

"You guys are always together now, everyone knows how Harry is, and you fell for his little trap! You're no better than the rest the skanks at this school."

Okay that hurt, before I could say anything else a blur of a person pushed by me and hit Niall in the face. The tears that threatened to leave my eyes made everything blurry, was that Harry?

"How could you say that to her?! You know how your nasty ex is, starting shit." Harry explained watching Niall closely. Harry turned around to look at me just as Niall tackled Harry to the ground.

"This is your fault, I told you to leave her alone!"

Harry lay on the ground as Niall tried to hit him, he got a few good punches in but Harry pushed him off.

"STOP!" I shouted, my fragile voice breaking slightly. Both boys stopped, surprisingly and glared each other down.

But what I saw next I will never forget, in the mist of them fighting, one of their soulmate necklaces fell off. I looked down and picked it up, my heart slamming in my chest and my hands shaking. A black sparrow sat in my hand, a bird that I had come all to familiar with.

I looked up from Niall to Harry not sure what to do, I held it out for one of them to take. Which one was it? The player that I had befriended and gave me strange new feelings or the blonde Irish boy that despite what he just said, I know he has a good heart and is just upset.

"That's mine." A husky voice said, I looked up at Niall and he looked just as hurt and just as surprised as I did. Harry took the necklace from my hands and walked off tying it back around his neck.

"It's him? He's the one?" I whispered, no. No. No. No. No. No.

Harry Styles, the player? I- no. No. This can't be happening. No matter how sweet and wonderful I know he can be, that doesn't change how he treats girls, like they're his toys.

I have to get out of here, I can't breathe.

So I did the only thing I've ever known.

I ran.