Revelation

CHAPTER 26   - REVELATION

The sunrise was beautiful, what I could see of it through my peep hole. It smelled of rain but I couldn't see any clouds. The wind had picked up since the first light of day and the breeze through the stable was cold. The horses on the other side of the far wall had been turned out to graze so there was no noise other than the birds.

I hadn't heard much talking since yesterday morning. I was beginning to feel the loneliness settle into my heart and I hated it. It has been years since my ears have been given this much rest. Between Cole and the children, there was always noise. Noise I had come to love. Now there was nothing.

I felt very weak. My body had healed, for the most part, since having brought Jacob into the world. I missed him. I missed all my children. I knew they were safe and that's what really mattered. My skin was loosing it's pretty color and even though I had no mirror to see myself, I knew my face looked horrible. I could practically feel the dark circles under my eyes. I hadn't eaten in days and the last time I had water was when someone opened the door to this tiny tack room long enough to hurl a canteen at me. It was only half full and I had long since finished it off.

I hoped Cole would come soon. I knew he would, he always does. Just when I think he's too late, he saves me from the evil in this world. I missed those blue eyes.

I knew I had aged over the years, because he had too. His once smooth skin now had light laugh lines and various scars from "mishaps" over the years. He still looked so young. I always hoped I would age as well as him. I didn't spend too much time looking in a mirror, though.

I heard footsteps coming close to the wall I was peeking through and strained to see who was coming. My eyes caught a deep burgundy skirt swaying in the breeze and I strained harder. The woman stopped just inches away from the wall. A grey eye peeked in and met my startled brown one. I backed away from the wall and steadied my breathing.

"Hello?" She whispered outside the wall. I scooted closer again and peeked through to look at her.

"Yes?"

"If I come in, will you try to escape?"

I had to really think about that, but decided against trying to escape. I was really more curious as to why this woman wanted to come in.

"No, I will not."

The latch squeaked as this mysterious woman lifted the bolt and slid it back. She slowly opened the door and peeked around to look at me. She gave me a small smile and entered my dusty prison.

"I wanted to meet you."

"Oh?"

She closed the door behind her and leaned her back against it. She pulled her long, raven locks over her shoulder and picked at the ends.

"I've heard about you since I was a child. I wanted to meet you, Cassidy."

I studied her face and the more I looked at her, the more familiar she became to me. It wasn't until she flipped her hair behind her shoulder and tilted her head to the side that I realized who she was. Different hair, different eye color, but same expression. Same mannerisms. Same borderline crazy eyes.

"I'm sorry, I know you don't know who I am. My name is Terra."

"It's nice to meet you, Terra." She seemed to notice my hesitation and sighed.

"I'm so sorry you are locked in here like an animal. You don't look like a deranged harlot to me."

"What are you talkin' about?"

Terra smoothed out the skirt of her dress before taking a few steps closer. "I have heard about you for as long as I can remember. About how you tore my father away from my mother and kept him for yourself. I never met my father..." Her voice faded and I was utterly confused. At the same time I felt my own heart breaking for her.

"I don't understand, I - "

"I know you don't. I didn't think you would. I know how my mother can be... Rather, how she is. She's not... She is not right, you know? Mother is sick, in her mind."

I breathed out slowly, calming my nerves. "Your mother is..."

"Catherine."

My blood ran hot through my body and new found hatred began to brew in my chest. "Terra, I would never do what your mother has accused me of, I don't- "

"It's alright, really. I don't believe her anymore. Her stories have started to... They don't sound believable anymore. Her new husband has even started to suspect what I have known for years. Her mind is warped."

"I'm so sorry." I didn't know what to say, but this poor young woman has more than likely lived in a hell that I can't even imagine.

"I am sorry, Cassidy. I'm so sorry Mother has done this to you and your family."

"Who did she tell you your father was?"

Terra hesitated a moment, a look of fear crossed her face but quickly disappeared. She exhaled a shaky breath. "Mother says that Cole Mason is my father."

I absolutely hated to think about it. I didn't know if it was my body being dehydrated and malnourished and causing my mind run a million different ways at once, or if she really did hold some resemblance to my husband.  My Cole.

"Cassidy, I know Mother is sick. But of all the things she has told me, this I do believe. Cole Mason must be my father."

I stared at the pretty young woman in front of me. She really was beautiful and I could see a slight resemblance to Cole's sister, Elizabeth. My heart felt like it was in my throat. The longer I looked at her, the more she did seem to favor Cole. I just couldn't believe it. I would not believe it. He would have told me.

"Terra, I -"

Terra threw her hands in front of her and took a few tentative steps closer. "I don't expect you to believe me and from what Mother has told me, Cole does not even know I exist. I just... I want to help you escape but... I want somethin' in return."

I eyed her cautiously, waiting to see what she wanted from me. "Okay, so what do you want?"

"I want to see my father. I won't tell him any of this that we have spoken of, I just want to see him. I am not my Mother and I refuse to hurt an innocent family. But I must see him. I need to see who my father is..."

Terra's voice faded and I thought she might cry. I still couldn't believe she was telling me the truth. There is no way Cole is her father. But if it would get me away from this God forsaken place, I would agree to let her see him. "Alright. I will agree."

"Oh, Cassidy, thank you!" Terra jumped from her spot and hugged me tightly. I awkwardly hugged her back. "I promise, I will not tell him anything. We are going to have to leave tonight. When it is time, I will come get you."

"Thank you for helpin' me."

I tried to smile. I was happy until I thought about the possibility she could be Cole's child. How is it even possible? He would have told me. He would. I would have already known about this if it was true. Terra quietly left me in my little prison to my thoughts. My mind was running a million different ways as if my thoughts were the seeds of a wishing flower being scattered by the wind. This just can not be true...

~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Whoa! Didn't see that coming did ya?? Please don't hate me! LOL. You don't know what's going to happen just yet. ;) this update is from my phone, so please excuse any auto-corrects that I didn't catch! I'm still editing Saloon Girl. Some new chapters have been added at the front so it wouldn't hurt for y'all to go check those out! More will be added throughout the book and a few minor changes will be made. Nothing major! But I'll let y'all know when it's all finished. :) Please don't forget to comment and/or vote if you are enjoying my books!