Trade?

CHAPTER 28 - TRADE?

"I can see the cabin." I whispered to Terra, who was hiding behind a tree. The yelling was much louder now that we were closer and I was now able to make out some words.

"There's no where for us to hide once we leave these trees." Terra whispered as she peeked around the large pine.

"We'll have to lay flat in the grass if we need to."

Terra nodded and we started walking ahead again.

"I ought to kill you right now!" I could hear Britt yell from the front of the cabin.

"What do you think is happenin'?"

"I have no idea."

We had finally reached the back of the cabin when we heard a new voice. "She's my wife! She's comin' back with me! So help me God Mary Beth if you don't get your whore ass over here I'm gonna beat the shit out of you!"

"Oh no..."

"Terra, do you know who that is?"

Terra's grey eyes were wide with horror as she stared at me. I instantly became uneasy. I was afraid, actually. I was afraid of who this person was. I was afraid that Britt was tied up with this person. Terra slowly nodded before answering me.

"I didn't think he was gonna confront your son yet. Your son has been with his wife. That's what most of this mess is about."

"Britt wouldn't dare do-"

"Miss Cassidy, I'm sure it's a possibility that Britt didn't know. But Mary Beth is married."

I know my face must have looked as horrified as I felt on the inside. I couldn't believe it. All of this is happening because of that girl. Why would she have let Britt court her if she was married? Britt may be a little on the wayward side but I had no doubt he would not have gotten involved with a married woman had he known.

"Let's get to the front corner so we can see what's happenin'. They may need some help." Terra whispered. I followed behind her to the front corner of the cabin. We peeked our heads around the side just enough to see what was happening.

Britt was in front of the cabin, facing this strange man who apparently was hell bent on taking Mary Beth with him. I could just barely see Seth off to Britt's left. I knew Cole was close. I could smell the tobacco he always smoked. My heart hurt that I was so close to him.. but I still couldn't see him. Not yet anyway.

Mary Beth's dark auburn hair picked up the light from the lantern that was hanging by the door way. Her hair seemed to be ablaze. She cowered behind Britt, visibly shaking. I wondered what this man could have done to her to make her so afraid of him.

"Mary Beth! I'm not gonna tell you again!" The crazed man yelled. He took a step forward and the sound of a pistol's hammer clicked back. Two more clicked and the man looked around, very clearly enraged.

"Take another step and you'll have three bullets in your chest." Britt yelled as he kept his pistol pointed at the man.

"Charles, please just-"

"Shut the hell up! Either get your ass over here or I'm gonna kill him," he yelled as he pointed at Britt, "and him, and him!" I could only assume he was then pointing at Cole at Seth. "And ya' know what? I might as well kill you with 'em. You are trash! You have embarrassed me for the last damn time! You're a fuckin' whore, Mary Beth! You took vows in the name of God and look what you've done!"

"That's enough." Britt started but this man, Charles, wouldn't let him finish.

"No! No, it ain't enough! Have you ever had your wife run off and sleep with other men? I doubt it! You don't tell me what's enough 'cause you have no fuckin' idea!"