Home

CHAPTER 4 - HOME

     I could see the farm house from the woodline I was coming out of. It looked like a little speck from across the plain. I wanted to make this quick. I had to talk Ella out of marrying that man and then be on my way. I was closing in on the ranch when a horse came running behind me. I looked back to see who it was. It was Ella.

     "Britt!" She screamed when she realized it was me. She let a huge smile spread across her face and I couldn't help but do the same. "You're home!"

      "I'm not stayin'. I just need to talk to you."

      Ella Grace rolled her eyes at me and gave me a stern look. It was funny. I smirked a little and waited for her smart ass remark, but there wasn't one. We rode side by side in silence to the ranch. Ella already knew what this was about.

      "Britt. I know you don't like Lucas but - "

     "I don't trust him, Ella. I only came home to talk you out of it." Anger flashed across her face and she put her hands on her hips the way Mama does when she's mad.

      "I don't need you to talk me out of anythin'! You just up and leave home and then only come back so you can talk me out of doin' somethin' I wanna do! Did you not miss us?" She screamed. I felt a little pinge of guilt in my gut, but I pushed it away.

      "That ain't got a damn thing to do with it. But fine Ella, you wanna marry somebody you don't know just cause you think you can, go ahead."

        "Britt!" My sister angrily called to me as I walked away. "Britt! I am a grown woman and I have a right to make my own decisions! You should be happy for me!"

          "You don't even know him, and seventeen is not grown! I'm not even grown! We're only a year and three months apart" I snapped back at her. She was about to make a huge mistake and I didn't want to be around for it. I untied my horse, but she stopped me.

          "Britt, I'm not fightin' with you. Please stay, for Mama and Paw.  They haven't seen you in a long time." She begged. I just shook my head.

          "Ella, I can't be here and watch you throw your life away."

          She looked at me as if I'd punched her in the face. "I'm not throwin' my life away! I love him and I'm gonna marry him! Whether you like it or not!"

          I glared at my sister. For someone so smart, she was so dumb. "You've only known him a month! You don't know if you love him! I don't trust him anyway. Ain't no lawyer gonna marry my sister. I'll kill him first." I meant every word and Ella knew that. She stared at me for a few seconds.

          "Britt, I love you. You're a great big brother and I'm so thankful to have you, but there are some decisions I have to make on my own and this is one of them. Please don't be this way. Just get to know 'em a little better. For me?" I was about to jump on my horse and leave until Mama saw me.

        "Britt?" She called from the porch. "Ella Grace! Is that Britt?" Excitement and happiness flooded from her voice and I almost felt quilty for being away for so long.

         Shit.

      "Hmm... Well, now it seems like you have to stay." Ella gave me the smirk I always hated and I kicked the rock at my feet. I looked up with a grimace across my face, but couldn't help the grin when Mama came running towards me.

        "My baby is finally home!" She screamed in my ear. I looked up to see Paw walking towards us. Mama didn't let me go, not even when Paw held out his hand. I shook it as best I could with Mama bear hugging me.