A Disease

Chapter 31 - A DISEASE

With the majority of Charles and Catherine's gang being wiped out, it was safe enough for us all to ride back to their camp so Terra could get whatever belongings she had there. Mama had agreed that we would all head back to the place I grew up. There was much work to be done when We got home.

Everyone was finally safe. Mary Beth was safe. I killed Charles and made sure he knew it was me when I shot him. Mama was finally safe from Catherine. Terra was safe now that Jake was back from wherever he had been. I didn't know exactly what had happened with them but I knew Catherine was involved.

Mama had written a letter to the reservation so that our family would know it was safe to bring all my siblings home. It would be a few days after we made it back before they would make the trip. Lucas had managed to make his escape when the shooting started, so I had no doubt he would either keep running for the hills, or he'd eventually come back for Ella. If he really did love my sister, he'd be back.

Crazy Catherine was buried in a shallow grave behind the cabin where Mama had finally finished her off. Terra didn't even look sad when she was covered with the dirt. But I guess when your mother is a lunatic that never loved you, you don't mourn the loss of someone who didn't mean anything to you.

It was hard to believe that she was my cousin. She was about 2 years older than me. Uncle Seth was still upset, and rightly so. He had spent all these years not even knowing his daughter existed. I couldn't imagine the guilt he felt. It wasn't his fault but I knew he wouldn't be able to let it go until he had made up for it. She looked so much like the Mason side of the family. It was almost weird how much she looked like Aunt Elizabeth.

Uncle Seth had also wrote a letter to Aunt Maria so she could make the trip to the plains. I knew it was because he wanted her to meet Terra. I also could tell he was nervous about it. Who wouldn't be? But even though Aunt Maria was a hot head, she was one of the kindest women I had ever met. I was sure she would be accepting of Terra once the shock had worn off. Terra seemed nervous about it too.

Once Terra had retrieved the bag she was gone after, we all mounted our horses and started on the long trip home. It was going to be a good 5 day ride, at least. Mary Beth poked my ribs as she rode up next to me. I gave her a grin and we rode on.

We stopped to make camp at dusk. Mary Beth had finally decided she wasn't mad at me anymore and threw her blanket out next to mine. Mama and Paw were laid out across from the campfire. I tried to eavesdrop on the serious conversation they seemed to be having, but they had mastered the art of whispering. I knew Jake and Terra wanted some alone time, but Uncle Seth wouldn't let her out of his sight. It was actually pretty comical. Every time Jake would try to move Terra away from the group, Uncle Seth would find a reason to approach them. Terra seemed to eat up the time she was able to spend with the man she just found out was her father, but Jake was getting irritated.

I caught Jake's eyes and he looked about ready to blow up. I chuckled to myself and got up. I figured I might as well distract Uncle Seth long enough for them to have time to catch up. Paw seemed to catch on as well and we made our way past the horses to where they were standing.

Terra and Jake eased away once we had Uncle Seth's attention. They were finally able to slip off out of sight for a while. Every time we stopped to make camp, Paw and I would need Uncle Seth to help us do something so they could be alone for a while.

Distracting Uncle Seth eventually distracted us. We didn't hear the crazed woman ride up on us like a disease we couldn't get rid of. We weren't even expecting it, honestly. We had let our guards down and became too relaxed. I didn't even hear the hammer of her pistol click as she pulled the trigger, the pistol aimed at Mama.

Terra flew in front of my vision and jumped in front of Mama just as the shot rang out over the prairie. They both fell to the ground clutching each other. Paw whipped around as soon as I did. Catherine dropped off her horse as we continued to empty our revolvers into her body. Blood was everywhere around her.

I looked back at Mama. Mary Beth and Jake were hovering over her and Terra. Uncle Seth and Paw were running towards them. I wanted to run too but I couldn't move. My feet felt like lead. When Mary Beth stood up and looked at me with her red face and tears falling from her big, brown eyes...

My heart stopped.