The Fire

CHAPTER 20 - THE FIRE

We were almost a mile away from home when I could smell the fire. As soon as we came out into the clearing I saw the smoke billowing high into the air and flames rising high from the cabin I grew up in. I thought of Mama and all the kids and I felt my blood start to boil just as hot as the fire that now consumed my home.

The three of us ran our horses as fast as we could. Just as we reached the cabin Uncle Seth took off towards the barn. "The barn is on fire too! Those bastards that did this can't be far! The fire was just started over here!"

     "You go get the horses out of the barn! Ima go make sure no one is inside!" I yelled to Uncle Seth as I jumped out of the saddle. Apache ran a ways a away and stopped to watch us. I would have laughed under different circumstances. "Mary Beth, you stay right here."

     "I want to come. I want to help you."

     "No, stay right here! Do not get off your horse and run if you see anyone come back. I don't know what kinda people we are dealin' with here."

     Mary Beth was looking at me with panicked eyes. I knew I couldn't look at them much longer without giving in. "Please be careful, Britt!" She screamed as I ran onto the front porch. The fire seemed to be coming from the back side of the cabin. I pulled the bandana out from my pocket inside my vest and tied it around my face to help with the smoke that was now burning my eyes. I was starting to sweat from the heat and I knew I shouldn't stay inside long, but I had to know if anyone was inside.

     "Mama!" I yelled over the roar of the Flames. "Mama! Are you in here?" There was no response. All I could hear was the crackling of the fire as its flames licked at the walls and the ceiling. I couldn't see anything through the smoke. When I heard the cracking above me I didn't hesitate. I turned and ran back through the front door and jumped off the porch just as the roof crashed in. Mary Beth screamed and as I rolled across the ground I watched her run towards me.

      "Britt! Oh, God! Are you okay?"

     "I'm alright. I didn't hear anybody inside." I answered between coughs. I stood and dusted myself off.

     "Now that you have brought the house down, you need to come see this." Uncle Seth yelled from the barn. He had already put out the small fire that could have taken it just like the cabin that was no longer standing. Mary Beth and I ran to the barn after Uncle Seth.

"What the hell..." I said as I took in the sight before me. Mary Beth gasped loudly and covered her mouth. Uncle Seth just stood a few feet away from us and shook his head.

"Are ya'll going to untie me or just stand there staring like idiots?" Lucas asked in an overly irritated tone. "Hurry up you fools so we can find Ella!"

"I thought ya'll ran away together?" I asked, still not believing Lucas was tied up in a burning barn. None of this made any sense. "Who tied you up?"

"My psychotic mother! Now please untie me!" He yelled with an urgency to his voice that had all of us moving towards him. I cut the ropes binding his hands and legs and Uncle Seth helped him stand. "We must hurry. I am afraid of what is going to happen to Ella and your mother. Even your younger siblings were taken. My mother has completely lost her mind. Ella did not want to run away with me after we had been gone a few days. When I told my mother I was going to take her back home she was furious. I just assumed she'd eventually get over it but she followed us and had me tied up in here because she thinks I am a traitor to her plan! I had no idea she would take things this far!"

"Have you seen Mr. Cole?" Mary Beth asked quietly from my side. "I mean, he was headin' this way long before us. Surely he was here and is already trailin' them?"

"No ma'am. I haven't seen him. He wasn't here." Lucas slowly shook his head as he answered and I could feel panic start to work its way around my gut.

Where is Paw?

A/N:

Don't freak out just yet. You need to save your energy because we are about to kick it into high gear. Go ahead and have some tissues handy.... You just might need them!

I have taken the time to decide the changes that need to be made in order to keep this book as action packed and fast paced as the rest of the series. So hang with me! :)

Thank ya'll for reading my Outlaw Series and I hope you will continue to vote and comment! That's the only pay we get for sharing our stories with you. :)