The Bitter Truth

CHAPTER 7 - The Bitter Truth

      Paw and I watched from the loft window while Mama and Ella Grace saw Lucas off. He didn't ride a horse, he rode off in a wagon. I mentally rolled my eyes and looked at Paw, who seemed to be doing the same. Some sissy boy was up to something and I was going to find out what it was.

Without a word said between us, Paw seemed to know I was going to go after him. "Find out what his real intentions are." He said, putting emphasis on the word 'real'. I nodded and climbed down the ladder to the ground. Once I'd gone inside and put my shirt, gun belt, and hat on I saddled up my horse. I didn't say anything to my mother or sister because I knew they would try to stop me.

      I kept a safe distance from Lucas until I knew a gun shot would be out of hearing range, just in case. Once I thought we'd gone far enough, I kicked Apache and closed the distance between us. "Hold it right there!" I yelled as I caught up with the wagon. Lucas' face looked like he was thinking of running, but then thought better of it.

      "Britt, are you heading into town as well?" He asked with a little smile that I could tell was strained.

     "Cut the bull shit." I said as I gripped my pistol. I watched his eyes widen a little as he followed my hand. "We're gonna have a little talk and if you lie to me, I'm gonna blow your knees out."

      Lucas sat there for a minute, thinking hard. He finally swung up the wagon brake and put the reigns around it. "Alright, we will talk." He answered slowly, unsure of what was about to happen. He turned towards me and I turned Apache to face him, so I would have a clear shot to one of his knees.

     "I know you ain't who you say you are. Now, I want to know what your real name is and where you're from." I demanded, still gripping my pistol.

     "My real name is Lucas Dashwood and I am from Boston." He answered a little too rehearsed. I pulled my pistol from the holster and aimed at his left leg. His face turned from irritated to scared in a split second. I pulled back the hammer with my thumb and he suddenly threw his hands up. "No!"

      "Then tell me the damn truth." I said calmly. I did find a little amusement in his fear.

     "Okay, I'm not really from Boston!"

      "Why are you tryin' to marry my sister?"

     "I love her!" He half screamed. I wanted to laugh, but the fact that he'd just lied again was enough to shoot him.

       "Aghhh! Wrong again, partner!" I yelled before shooting him in the leg. I only shot him in his calf, so he'd still be able to use his leg. He fell over and onto the ground. He held his leg close to his body and started to curse me. I swung out of the saddle and bent down to grab his arm. I jerked him up from the ground and slung him into the side of the wagon. "The truth now? Or I'm gonna shoot your other leg."

        Without hesitation Lucas started to spill the beans about himself. "I didn't love your sister at first. I was told to get close to her. But I swear after spending so much time with her, I do love her! I swear!"

        The look in his eyes said he was being honest, but now I needed to find out who was behind this. "Who told you to do that?"

        "I can't tell you! Please, if you just let me be I won't ever come back. Ella Grace will never hear from me again! Please?" Lucas begged. I spit in his face.

       "I'm not lettin' you go until you give me a name. I'll kill you if I have to and you know I'll do it." I said coldly. Lucas started to panic and I could feel his pulse through his sleeve. "And don't think I won't make it slow and painful."