Blue Creek

CHAPTER 12 - Blue Creek

I rode my horse around the small town and tried to shake the thoughts of what Paw and Uncle Seth had been talking about in the diner. There was nothing else to do, so I thought I would ride in the direction Mary Beth had pointed me in earlier and look for her house. I rode outside of town and looked for the little white house. I was beginning to think she had lied to me until I finally saw it. Just over the hill was the little white house with a white fence. Two dogs were sprawled out on her front porch and started to wag their tails when I came closer.

I noticed the dogs were not actually dogs, but Mexican wolves. They were not as tall as the wolves out on the plains, but they were fat and fluffier than they should be. I could tell they were well taken care of and didn't miss a meal. They looked friendly enough on the porch but I wasn't going to push it. I would hate for Mary Beth to be upset with me if I had to kill one of her pets.

I turned my horse and headed back towards town. I needed to get to the wash house and clean up before time to call on Mary Beth. There were dark clouds in the distance and I prayed that wasn't a bad omen for tonight. The thought made my heart race and I couldn't understand why. Why was I so concerned if tonight didn't go well? I didn't really know Mary Beth well enough to be worried over it so I pushed it to the back of my mind.

After I'd taken my bath and had finished dressing, I walked outside of the bath house. They sun was lower in the sky and I was sure school was out by now. I rubbed my face and realized how scruffy my jawline was. I hadn't shaved in over a week and for me it didn't take long at all to grow a full beard. I saddled my horse again and started out towards Mary Beth's house.

The dark clouds I had seen earlier were closer and it felt like rain. I ignored the fact that it could probably ruin tonight and pushed the thought back. When I reached the white house I noticed the wolves were gone and saw a beautiful white stallion running behind the house in the little pasture. It was thick with muscles and it's mane and tail were long and wavy. I stared at the beast until I heard the creaking of a door. It was Mary Beth.

"Mr. Britt, I was beginning to think you weren't comin'." Mary Beth called out to me from the front porch. I tied my horse to the hitching post and walked up the steps to face her.

"I don't think I could have stood you up if I wanted to." I answered. Mary Beth smiled wide and took my arm. The sight of her innocent smile made me realized how true my answer was. I really didn't think I could have stayed away. I couldn't understand what was pulling me to this girl. Not that I was trying to fight it.

"What would you like to do this evenin'?"

"I was plannin' to leave that up to you, Miss."

Mary Beth smiled and led us off the porch and around the back of the little white house. There was a small wagon with hay in the back. "Let me just put this hay out for Stormy and we can use the wagon." She said as she walked towards the wagon and picked up an armful of hay.

"No, let me do that." I took the hay from her arms and dropped it over the fence. The white stallion she'd called Stormy came charging to the fence line. I thought he wasn't going to stop in time but he did, just before crashing into the wooden gate. "He's spirited, ain't he?"

"Just a little." Mary Beth said with a laugh. "He just isn't real fond of strangers. Not until he knows you're safe."

I stuck my hand out over the fence and let him smell me. He just stood there staring at us after he pulled his large head away from my hand. I walked back to the wagon and carried another armful to drop in the pile. Stormy never moved or made any noise. He just watched me with caution. "That's it."