Prologue

It all happened way too fast. I had let this whole thing get the best of me and never in a million years would I have pictured myself running for my life down a dark alley.

I couldn't feel my legs. They were going completely numb. All I could focus on was the rhythm of my feet colliding with the side walk. I didn't even realize how out of breath I already was. Right then the only thing on my mind was getting out of there. Alive.

They were so close, I could hear their footsteps like they were right behind me.

"Don't let her get away!" I heard one of them shout.

Hearing that just made it worse and I could feel myself breaking down. Tears were starting to build up in my eyes making it harder to see down the street. Every time I blinked, it sent them down my cheeks. My heart was pounding so hard against my chest I could practically hear it and each breath I took was getting shorter and shorter. The heaviness in my chest was getting uncomfortably hard to bare and the pain in my side felt like it was twisting tighter with every second.

I had no idea where I was going. The alley was getting darker the farther I ran. The reflecting light from apartment windows slowly disappeared from the wet pavement. The brick walls felt like they were closing in on me and everything just seemed to be fading. I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold on. My whole body was tired and ready to collapse. This whole idea was just bad and I was running out of luck. I just knew it.

Why did I do this?

This is not me.

This is not who I am.

I had to think of something quick or I would not be leaving that alley. I could feel it in the pit of my stomach.

I noticed an opening that seemed to be a smaller alleyway. I had no idea where it would lead but at a point like this, a decision had to be made fast so I went for it and I turned the corner.

In that split second, I felt the breath get knocked out of my chest and my legs swing out from under me, throwing me off balance. When I realized the arm hooked around my body and a hand plastered over my mouth, the tears poured down my face, burning into my cheeks. I immediately tried to break away from the grip, using every ounce of energy I had left.

"Stop." they demanded in a hushed tone. Their breath sent chills through my body as it hit my ear, their arm yanking me tighter against them, keeping me pinned to their chest.

They were apart of this. They were here for me.

And then I felt it. The piercing cold metal in their hand pressed against my side. My whole body froze in shock. Every muscle tightened with fear when I realized exactly what it was.

a gun

I wasn't prepared for this, I would never be prepared for this in my entire life. I was terrified.

And as much as I hated to admit it...

He was right.