Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Elle Whitson

To the outside world, Ren and I do not look like an affectionate couple. Even in front of our friends, we’re not the type of couple known for public affection. Obviously, there’s the arm over the shoulder, hugs, and hand holding. But, we don’t like to overdo it. However, when it’s just us too, people would be surprised that we’re so couple-like.

Apparently, it was some sort of unspoken agreement that the three of us, Bryn, Charlotte, and I, would all spend time with different people today. It’s not as if I don’t spend enough time with Ren these days, but I’m not actually sick of him. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten sick of him. Would I miss him if I didn’t see him every day? Yes. This past summer he went to England with Oliver to visit Hale, Wes, and Clara, and I felt as though I was a sitting duck. I hadn’t realized that a lot of the active things I do have been with Ren. It was same routine of going to work, and going home. Sometimes, the three of us girls would go out, but it was still weird. I did miss him. Bryn decided to actually work at the coffee shop tonight . She’s an employee that only comes in when needed. Charlotte apparently had plans with Wes because she found out he had never watched a single Asian drama. Bryn then practically made me call Ren over, so that she wouldn’t feel bad about leaving me alone. She’s decided that if I didn’t have Ren, I would voluntarily stay home alone all the time. When I called him, he was supposedly just about to call me, and see if I was doing anything. This is what one would call couple telepathy.

We’re sitting on the couch like a couple. The whole shebang. Ren has his arm around me and I lean into his chest. I listen to his heartbeat. I hear him breathe. I wonder if he can feel my heart beat. I wonder if my hair smells okay. We’re obviously in the comfortable level of our relationship, so I am wearing my pajamas for comfort. Because that’s the point. I’m supposed to be comfortable around him, but not so comfortable that I don’t have these thoughts. I do worry about these things like any other girl on the planet. It’s a constant stream of thoughts. The television is buzzing in the background, but I wonder if either of us are even paying attention.

I crane my neck up to look at his face. He has his thinking face on. I sit up and turn my whole body towards him so that I’m leaning on my hand which is propped up on the back of the couch. He turns his face to look at me since he must have realized that his arm is no longer wrapped around me. He also turns his whole body, also crossing his legs Indian style. I do the same and ask him, “What’s up?”

“Do you think Oliver has a chance?”

“A chance with Clara?” 

“Well, I’m certainly not asking about whether he has a chance with Charlotte or not. Wes would probably kill him since he’s decided that she’s kind of like a little sister to him. At least, that’s what he thinks.”

“Not exactly the one to ask, am I? Charlotte is the one that watches all the Asian dramas, and if I told Charlotte that, she’d probably start overthinking. This overthinking will then lead her to relate everything in her life to Asian dramas. However, I will offer my thoughts on the subject of Oliver and Clara. Oliver is pining after a girl in a serious relationship. A normal guy would not have a chance, but Oliver is her best friend, which automatically gives him a chance. If sometime in the near future, Clara and Damian do break up, there’s not a high chance that Oliver would confess his feelings. Between best friends of the opposite sex, there’s always that fear of ruining the friendship if he crosses the line. What if she doesn’t feel the same way? This would make it virtually impossible for them to be as close as they used to be. But, yes, technically speaking, Oliver does have a chance.”

I’m surprisingly good at this stuff. Granted, I do have the advantage of being in an actual stable relationship. Compared to Bryn and Charlotte, I am the one that should be giving the advice. Charlotte’s analysis of everything is affected by the idealistic and overdramatic stories of Asian dramas. She’s never even been in an actual relationship. Bryn, on the other hand, can hardly remember relationships before Hale. That was not the healthiest relationship, and is probably not the best to base  advice on.

“How are you so good at everything?” If this were anyone else, I would say that I am just that awesome. However, this is Ren. And I’m not good at everything. I’m actually bad at a lot of things.

“I’m not good at a lot of things, actually. I’m not good at being humble. I snap at people a lot. My patience runs out easily. I procrastinate till the very last second, but don’t we all? I tend to overthink. I’m irritated easily. I correct everyone on every little mistake they make even though it embarrasses them. I am far from being good at everything.”

“Fine. You’re good at most things. And I prefer people like you. At least I know that you won’t take crap from anyone. And if I’m not around, you’d be able to defend yourself with the vast knowledge of random knowledge that might just scare people off. At least you think unlike some people.” I smile at the last point he makes. It’s true. Some people just act without thinking, and it’s rather stupid. Or they say things without thinking, which makes me have to correct them. “I believe it’s time that you say nice things about me.”

“Well, there’s not much to say then, is there?” He runs his fingers through his brown hair as if he thinks I’m serious. It’s times like this when I can tell he’s insecure when it comes to me. Honestly, I get worried about what he thinks about me, too. Does he think I’m too mean? Or too easily annoyed? “I’m joking. There’s tons of things I love about you. First off, you’re not bad looking.” That’s actually a bit of an understatement. “You can actually keep up with my train of logic. Not many people can. Then there’s the fact that you actually trust my best friend, Charlotte, enough to pass on messages. However, her handwriting sucks, so just text me next time. This may sound weird, but I like the fact that you don’t feel the need to be best friends with Charlotte and Bryn. You guys can get along, but there’s no pressure to impress or like each other. You understand sarcasm. You’re not an idiot. You actually seem to pay attention when I spout out random trivia or recap TV shows. And you make me happy. Is that a big enough ego booster for you?”

“It is actually.” He smiles and kisses me. It’s just a quick one. Sweet and gentle, but that fluttery feeling I always get around him shows up.

***