Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

Charlotte Le

People are ridiculous. My friends are ridiculous. Life is ridiculous. My life, in particular, is ridiculous. Over the break, the only things I expected to do were eat and sleep. Instead, I find myself waking up to phone calls and crying. Before Make-Out Guy came, I would never use my phone. It would just sit there idly. Now, it’s as if it acts as my own personal alarm clock. The only time I had to deal with someone crying was for one whole year through the aftermath of Bryn and Hale. However, Bryn’s more of a silent crier. All she needed was to sit down and watch a good old action movie with me.  Clara, unfortunately for me, is a full out bawler.  

The fact of the matter is, I don’t comfort people. I feel completely awkward around someone crying. I don’t know whether I should put my arm around their shoulder or start listing all the bad things about the other person if it is a breakup. I’m also not one for physical contact. It’s just not my thing. With that said, I was quite relieved when I got the phone call from the guys asking me to put them out of their misery. Imagine my shock when they are entirely ungrateful on my arrival.

“You brought water? Water?” Wes makes a move to close the door in my face, but I kick it right back open. He steps back and allows me room to walk in. Stepping inside, I almost trip over a suitcase  and drop the case of water. Instead, the only thing I see dropping to the ground is the case of water. I feel a sudden warmth around my waist, and I’m pulled up, so that I’m flat on my feet. “I guess you are as clumsy as they say.” His breath is warm near my ear. “However, I’d much rather save you than the water bottles.” I’m happy to say, though, that I’m rather immune to these moments when Wes invades my personal space. It’s not really an issue anymore. He releases my waist, and I step over the suitcase and pick up the case of water.

“I’ll take that. This isn’t beer.” Some people make the best observations, and Damian is no exception.

“Damian, lovely as always to see you. Especially around here. Also awaiting beer. I thought you were different.” Unlike most of my friends, I had no qualms with Damian. In fact, we got along quite well, even though I was totally for Oliver. Now, I have changed alliances to the bromance pairing of Damian and Oliver.

“Yes, well. I’m officially single, and not ready to mingle, as the Americans would say. I really think I’d rather wallow in my own self-pity. Well, actually it’s more of a mixture since Ollie is here, too.” Damian looks like he’s about to just leave the case of water altogether, but thinks better of it. I carry it over to the kitchen, where I presume, everyone else is. “Lads, the woman is evil. She brought us bloody water.”

The scene before me is quite the spectacle. Wes had apparently followed behind Damian and I, and he was now leaning against the doorframe. You wouldn’t think he wasn’t completely sober, so I assume he was a great drinker. Damian was a bit wobbly when setting down the water, and remained wobbly pulling out a chair to sit in. Ren, surprisingly, is trying to get the last drops of beer from all of the empty cans and into his mouth. Just wait until Elle hears about this. Oliver has an expression on this face that makes me think he’s contemplating about killing himself. Not literally, but more like drowning in his sea of emotions. However, the most amusing sight that presented itself was Hale. He was lying under the table sleeping, and using a pair of Pikachu slippers as a pillow.

“The woman brought water? I don’t care if she’s best friends with my girlfriend, Elle. Could you not have taken pity on us?”

“I don’t understand why you’re drinking, Ren. All the guys here, with the exception of Wes, are having relationship issues. From what I’ve seen, you and Elle and doing admirably. And don’t say that you just wanted to drink for the hell of it like Wes. You, Ren Novak, do not do that, so what is up?”