Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Clara Graham

I looked at my phone and realized that Oliver had hung up. Our conversation made me upset. I am upset. Actually, I’m really kind of pissed. And at the same time, I want to curl up in a ball and cry. And on top of all that, I want to pack all my things and hop on a plane. I do the latter. Because Oliver needs me. And when it comes down to it, I will always pick Oliver.

I go into the closet and grab my luggage. I drag it to my room, throw it on my bed, and start throwing clothes in. I dial Oliver’s number on my phone, but he doesn’t pick up. I feel as though I’m about to break down. I wipe my eyes and get rid of the tears. Turning to grab more clothes, I come face to face with Damian.

“Are you going somewhere?” He doesn’t seem mad. He just looks a bit confused.

“Well, I thought maybe, we could go to California for the break.”  Realization dawns on his face. He knows. I can tell. The worst part is that he’s not mad or sad or happy. It’s just a cold mask of indifference.

“I thought we agreed to go to my family’s place for Christmas.” His voice is calm. It doesn’t break my heart like I thought it would. It just disappoints me.

“Oliver just called. And he said that we should come over. Now that Wes and Hale are home, we should have a big reunion. And I know we said that we would go to your family’s place, but we did that last year. I just think that we haven’t been over to California in a while. Oliver’s always coming over to visit me, I mean us. We should return the favor.”

He’s still standing in the doorway. “I don’t know why you’re speaking as if we’re both going. You’ve obviously already decided what you’re going to do. It’s obvious that you’re going to go with or without me. You’re always doing this. One word from Oliver and you come running. Oliver is not your boyfriend. I am your boyfriend. Oliver is not the person you are with. I am the person you are with. I don’t understand why you haven’t realized that fact after three years.”

“I’m with you. Not Oliver. He asked me to come last Christmas, and did I? No. I decided to stay here. With you. You need to get over your bloody insecurities. Oliver and I have been friends our whole lives. Don’t you think that we would have gotten together already if we wanted to? I want you to come with me. And it’s not just him I want to see. I would also like to see Elle, Charlotte, and Bryn. And you’re right. I will go with or without you, but I’d much rather like to go with you.” I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

“How long would we be staying?” I look up, startled by the fact that he would so readily agree.

“I plan to stay the whole month. However, if you want, you can stay for the first two weeks and spend the your family.” We stand in silence. I don’t move. I wait for him to answer. It feels like an eternity before he answers.

“I’ll go pack a bag, then. I’ll call you when I’m here to pick you up. Then we’ll go to the airport.” Damian turns and leaves my room. I release a breath that I hadn’t realized I was holding. A weight feels as though it’s been lifted off my shoulders.

***

“Who do you need in your life?” I wake up to the sound of Oliver’s voice in my head. After picking my up, the car ride was long and tense between Damian and I. We stayed in a stoic silence boarding the plane. We had a bit of a problem getting tickets last minute, but we managed. Now, we’re sitting side by side on the plane. I hadn’t realized that I had fallen asleep until I actually work up.

Our conversation is still fresh in my mind. Who do I need in my life? I knew the answer to this question. I knew I needed Oliver. I knew I couldn’t live without him, but shouldn’t I feel the same about Damian. Shouldn’t I need him, too? If anything, I should need Damian more.