Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Bryn Sinclair

Our love had always been an ill-fated one. In truth, we both knew it would never work out. Everyone told us it would never work out. There were too many problems. There are so many songs preaching love is all you need. But they’re all lies. Love wasn’t enough for me and him. For Bryn Sinclair and Hale Christiansen.

“What are you doing here?” Hale makes his way over to the sofa, running his fingers through his brown hair. He makes himself comfortable like he owns the place. He doesn’t. He looks at me. It’s the first time in a year that he’s looked at me. It’s a cliché to say that memories come flowing back, and our whole relationship flashes through my eyes. That’s why it didn’t happen. Instead, I feel nothing.

“Just thought I’d drop in. I came back last week and I haven’t dropped in to see you, yet.” He gets up and walks around observing all the photos. Mostly of Elle, Char, and I. He stops at one picture and picks it up. I don’t have to see it to know which one it is. That picture has been there since I moved in with Elle and Char. It hasn’t moved. I threw away all our pictures except that one. Just the two of us laying on the grass. I watch him as he places the frame back down. My eyes follow his movements as he approaches me. I stand paralyzed at the door. “Your place is nice.”

“Our place.” His eyes show the slightest change. “As in mine, Elle’s, and Char’s place.” And then they’re back to normal. I notice that he’s still looking around. I don’t want him touching anything. It just means he’s leaving his scent behind. It took me months to get rid of his shadow from all of my things. “Is there something you’re looking for?”

Hale looks up at me. He’s standing in front of me now. I’m frozen. He pushes the hair covering my eyes behind my ear. My heart is beating. He leans in closer. I almost think he’ll kiss me. Instead, I hear his voice next to my ear. “I’m looking for the necklace.”

Hale steps back and stretches his arms in an exaggerated movement. “The necklace?” Does he mean the one that he found and gave to me when we weren’t even acquainted? The necklace that was really nothing special, yet happened to be the most special thing I owned? The necklace I threw in one of the boxes when packing, and have yet to see it make its reappearance? “Why?”

“Because I want to see you wear it.” And then, he made his exit.

***

Charlotte Le

“What a bastard.”

“Frowny words are frowned upon, Char. But that is a rather adequate description of Hale Christiansen.”

“Sorry, Elle, that just slipped out.” I choose not to curse, but there are some curse words that are perfect to describe someone. “I can’t believe that he has the balls to come back like that, Bryn! And I can’t believe you looked for the necklace, too!”

Bryn looks at her hands. I can tell that she’s thinking about something. I look at Elle. She shakes her head in response. “Do you really think I don’t how stupid it is of me to even look for that thing? I know I shouldn’t. But I can’t help thinking that as long as that necklace is in this apartment, then so is he. I completely forgot about it until he just dropped in.” She takes a deep breath. It breaks my heart to see her like this. It was only ever Hale.

“Well, it won’t help just sitting here. We’ll go give him a piece of our minds.” I look up startled by Elle’s declaration. “Right, Char?” I make a strangled sound, but nod my head in agreement anyways. “Bryn, you don’t have to go. Actually, I’m not letting you go. You are going to stay here and clean up this mess. Relieve your stress.”

“Yes, Bryn. In most Asian dramas, the heroine relieves her stress by cleaning.” It’s only true. Well, as long as the heroine is relatively clean. And Bryn is clean. I, on the other hand, am definitely not. However, cleaning habits are not relevant to the topic at hand. “Have fun, Bryn. When we get back, we’ll talk about my issues instead with Make-Out Guy.”

Right when we close the door, we get confirmation that she’ll be okay when she exclaims, “Wait! I would very much like to hear about Make-Out Guy!” Elle and I laugh because we’re glad to know that she’ll be okay, but also because we’re back outside.

***

“Elle, do you know where we’re actually going?” I had no clue seeing as I was never exactly close with Hale.

“Ren’s place, of course.” She said it as if it were obvious. Which I guess it was, considering they’re pretty darn close and all. Now that I think about it, if Hale and Ren live together, that makes three guys living in that apartment because Ren’s friend, Oliver, also lives there. I guess I’ve never actually thought about Ren’s living arrangements.

“Well, I’ve never been there, so technically, I still don’t know where we’re going.”

***

“Elle!” Ren Novak pulls his girlfriend into a hug and steps to the side, so that she can come in. And this is exactly why I’ve never been to Ren’s place. It’s not that we don’t like each other. We’ve just never made an effort to know each other. He’s also just now noticing me standing behind Elle.

“Ren, you remember Charlotte.” Elle walks briskly in while removing her scarf and hat placing them on the couch. I can tell that she’s comfortable here. It’s weird seeing Elle somewhere different. I give Ren and awkward wave and smile.

“Hey, Charlotte. Come on in.” Because I would have definitely stayed outside had you not invited me in. I step inside holding on to my jacket and scarf. I look around. Literally everything is black or white. It’s no wonder Elle is dating him. And apparently they have couple couches. They must have gone furniture shopping together at Ikea. I had a feeling that Elle wouldn’t just come home with a couch out of nowhere. Basically, the only other color is the stainless steel. Currently, Elle and Ren are in a deep conversation about something. It’s probably Hale. And just like that, I’m disconnected. He says something and she laughs. Suddenly, I wonder why I’m here.

Then, as if saving me, a crash comes from the kitchen. “Shit, Hale. You broke the bloody glass.” Oh, so they’re both home. Hale and Oliver, the Brit. His accent has lightened, but each summer, he comes back with it stronger. “Ren! Hale broke the bloody glass. Ah, shit. Are you bleeding? Ren?” He pops his head out of the kitchen and realizes that they have company. “Oh, obviously, we have company. Well, I’m just going to go run to the bathroom and get the first aid kit. Try and keep your pants on you two.”

“What company? I’m not bleeding that heavily, Oliver! Just get back over here and help me put pressure on it!” Oliver comes rushing back with the first aid kit, and barely misses me.

“Sorry about that, Char.” Before I’m able to reply, he’s back into the kitchen. “Hold still, will you?”

“I’d be able to hold still if you weren’t about to attack me with the spray that stings. Shit! It’s bleeding more. Make it stop!”

“Sorry about the noise. They are very—” Before he can finish, my curiosity takes over. I push open the door to the kitchen (leaving Elle and Ren to their devices) and see a very strange scene. Hale and Oliver both look up at me. Hale’s finger is bleeding a significant amount. It’s not a fountain of blood, but there’s still quite a bit. What makes it strange is that Oliver is basically holding Hale’s hand. I understand that he’s putting pressure on it, but it’s still so weird. I notice that they still have glass shards on the floor.

“Oliver, do me a favor and clean up the glass. I’ll take over.” They both open their mouths as if about to protest, but I interrupt before either of them can. “I’m a woman, after all.” It must make sense to them, since Oliver backs up, allowing me to take Hale’s hand. In the background I hear footsteps and a door close. Elle and Ren must have gone to his room to talk. I work on putting pressure on the cut, and finally look at Hale. Bryn was right. He does look the same. And then I remember, his and Bryn’s relationship.

“Um. Char. I think that’s a bit too much pressure.” I put more pressure on. “Okay, never mind, then. Lovely seeing you again. How are you?”

“I think the real question is, ‘How is Bryn?’”

***