Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Oliver Hall

“Hullo, it’s Oliver. Clara, there?” I walk along the sidewalk on my way to meet the guys at the coffee shop.

“Yeah, um, one second.” Damian’s voice makes me want to stab myself. His voice isn’t a bad voice. It’s a perfectly nice, British voice, but then I remember that he’s Clara’s boyfriend. Am I jealous? Yes. We could have gone to Stanford together, if he didn’t ask her to stay.

“Wotcha, Oliver!” Clara’s light, crisp voice rings in my ear. And just like that, she’s off. “I had dinner with your mum the other day. She said that you haven’t called in a couple weeks. Good to know that I’m not the only one. What’s up? Are there any problems over there? Wait, one moment, Damian’s asking about the something or other.” Had I been out of touch, recently? Maybe, but not on purpose. I’ve just been busy. “No, Damian, it’s on the other side! Alright, I’m back. But really, what’s up?”

“Well, classes just ended, which means winter break is starting. You coming over this time? Across the ocean and across the land of the free to sunny California? Elle even asked about you.” Was I hopeful? Yes. Did I really want her to come? Absolutely. Was I ready to endure seeing her and Damian together? I hope.

“The thing is, Oliver, Damian wanted to go to see his family for Christmas. You know I would really like to come, right? I just don’t think now is the best time.” Every time, I feel as though my heart is at a breaking point. Just because I’m a bloke, it doesn’t mean I don’t have feelings.

“Well, that’s perfectly fine. Just thought that we would keep to the pact, or at least try to keep at it. I visit during the summer, and you try to visit during winter. Damian is always welcome, you know? I miss you.” I hear her sigh.

“And you don’t think I’m trying? And I know Damian is welcome, but where will we stay this time? Hale and Wes are back now, aren’t they? I just don’t know if it’s going to work, quite honestly.” She keeps crushing my heart. But I’m her best friend. Of course I have to remain obliging. I’m not her boyfriend. I’m just her best friend.

“I know. I know you’re trying. And it’s not hard. You two could take my room, and I’ll take the couch. It’s hard having an ocean between us where we can only talk on the phone. I’d like to see my best friend’s face sometimes.”

“Honestly, I don’t think Damian will be up for it. It’s our third year together and you know what they say. The third year either makes or breaks the relationship. And of course, I want to see you, too. It’s just tough. You could always come over here. You mum and dad would love to see you. My mum and dad would love to see you.” I grip the phone tighter. I kick a rock and quietly curse under my breath from the unexpected pain.

“That’s just it. It’s always me coming over to see you. And your life revolves around Damian. I get that it’s an important time in your relationship. I get that our parents would like to see me, but I was just over there for the summer. I’m frustrated. It’s always Damian this, Damian that. I know that we’ll always be friends, but I feel as though you should be trying harder, sometimes.” Once I said it, I regretted it immediately. I know that it’s hard for her. I shouldn’t be pushing her, but I can’t help it. I’m angry.

“I am trying.” Clara sounds like she’s crying, but at the same time, there’s that fighting spirit. In the background, I hear her open a door and close it. She’s gone someplace where Damian can’t hear us. “And it may seem like my life revolves around Damian, but it doesn’t. You of all people should know that. And aren’t you the one who introduced us? You should take responsibility if you’re mad!”

I realize that I’m approaching the coffee shop. I slow down my pace, so that I can finish this conversation in peace. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it when I said that. And I know you’re really trying. I know your life doesn’t revolve around Damian. But what are you asking of me? Are you asking me to take responsibility for this relationship? Are you not happy? Or are you asking me to congratulate you? You’ve found happiness. I just want to know that when it comes down to it, would you be able to choose between us? Who do you need in your life? Damian or Oliver? Because I know I need you in my life.” I hang up the phone and open the door to the coffee shop.

Elle’s voice greets me. She’s behind the counter today with Ren. Is it possible for two people to spend so much time together and not get sick of one another? Ren hugs her from behind, and she laughs. Is it possible to have such a perfect relationship? They’re so impossibly happy. I flash a grin at them. “Both of you need to learn to keep it in your trousers.” Ren’s face reddens and he steps back. I greet Wes and Hale who are sitting at our usual table.

“You want anything today, Oliver?” Elle is perfect for Ren. They’re like an old married couple. It’s as if they’ve known each other longer than three years. It seems that Ren’s the only capable one of having a healthy relationship.

“Just some tea, then.”

“Any crumpets with that, Ollie?” Hale laughs and high fives Wes. “I’ll take a coffee, please. Black. Like my heart. Funny how neither of them asked us what we wanted when we came in, Wes, but when Oliver, the golden boy comes in, they’re waiting at his beck and call.”

“Only because Oliver actually stuck around and kept me company. Now that you guys are back, the apartment will be a mess again, and I’ll be back being the maid.” I laugh at this, because it’s absolutely true what Ren said.

“That is very true, Hale. If only I had decided to be a polite British boy. All my problems would be solved then. I’ll take some, too, then. However, give me the Jasmine. Not whatever English tea Oliver here is having. I’d like to stick to my Asian roots.”

“Coming right up. And I only think Oliver’s better because of his accent. Why didn’t you guys develop one when you were over there. However, it’s probably better for Hale, so that Bryn’s not constantly reminded of the fact that you went to England.”

“Shut up, Elle.”

“Where are those two lovely ladies, anyway? I have yet to meet this infamous Bryn Sinclair. However, I may just be more excited for Lottie’s arrival since I have a feeling she’ll make a great friend. I think she’s my soul mate when it comes to friendship.” Before any of us can respond, the bell rings and a cold gust of wind comes rushing in. The door reveals Charlotte and Bryn. It’s very tense for a couple seconds until Bryn, herself, breaks the silence.

“It’s lovely to see you all again. Terribly sorry for missing the little gathering. Elle, Ren, please stop with the hugging. I know Elle’s very huggable, but us single folks,” Bryn gestures to our whole group, “won’t be able to stand it for long. Keep the hormones in check, kids. Ah, Oliver. How lovely it is to see you.” She always greets me in a fake British accent. “How is Clara doing these days? I haven’t heard much about her. Something happen?”

“Clara’s fine. We’re fine. There’s absolutely nothing wrong.” They all give me a skeptical look. “Really, it’s fine. She’s just not coming in for Christmas is all.” Their expressions change to understanding.

“That’s unfortunate. Boyfriend being controlling again? We were looking forward to seeing her. Maybe next time, then.” Bryn makes her way over to the table. We all wait for her to say something to Hale, but instead, she addresses Wes. “You are a new face. Elle has mentioned you.” She whispers in his ear, but it’s the loud sort, meant to have everyone here hear her. “Charlotte, however, has decided you don’t exist.” She backs up and reverts back to her normal self. “Anyways, nice to meet you. I’m Bryn. I’m sure you’ve heard about me. Probably from Ren or Oliver. Well, now that introductions are in order, I’d like frapuccino if you would, Elle.”

It is now very clear that she intends to ignore Hale altogether. This’ll be a good time.

***