Chapter 37 - Amélie

I had barely gone out today. I didn’t want to run into Josh. I had to fix my heart before facing him again. I had been stupid, blind and totally immature. That was actually the way I usually handed things. But it was so much easier when it was closer to home, not miles away. When I had no friends to talk to.

I was in jogger, listening to some music. I knew I wasn’t going to be awarded « counselor of the century » but I didn’t care. I wasn’t planning on meeting my dream boy here, and certainly not to fall in love with him.

Rolling off my bed, and obviously falling down on the floor – my bed back home was bigger, stop laughing ! – I decided it was time for me to eat something. But when I stood, it was obvious that nothing could go to my stomach. So I sat down, feeling feverish. OF COURSE, I was starting to be sick.

At that moment, Megan came into my room and told me that she was worried about Rachel. I didn’t feel like standing, but it was my job, and Rachel kind of reminded me of my younger self, so I went to their room. When I got there, Rachel wasn’t there. And out of nowhere, Josh appeared. And Megan vanished. Of course. Of course she’d do something like that.

I didn’t want to face him. So I stood near the window, watching outside.

“You don’t look well.” He said to me

“Well, you’re not the symbol of happiness yourself either.” I replied.

I heard him laugh a bit.

“It’ll always surprise me just how sassy you can be in English.”

“Oh boy, you wouldn’t want to speak French then.”

Why did he have do make me smile? Couldn’t he make this easier? Couldn’t he understand how hard it was for me?

“I’m pretty sure we’ve said everything there was to say.” I announced, walking to the door.

It was locked. I tried, once more. Damn, she was good. 

That’s when I started crying. I couldn’t be in the same room as he was it was unbearable. Leaning against the door, I let it go. For the 1000th time since yesterday afternoon but for the first time in front of someone.

He took me in his arms, making me face him. I broke down and grabbed his shirt, trying not to have a panic attack.  He stroke my hair, trying to calm me down. How could he try to be nice to me when I was the one who broke up? I looked at him and he hugged me tighter. I sighed, pushed him away, and wiped the tears away. I had to be strong.

“This won’t change anything. We can’t be together. You know it.”

He gave me his puppy look, and I laughed. He knew how to get me. Suddenly, he was serious again.

“We can make it work. After those five weeks, we’ll see how it goes, but you could come to the US, since your BA is almost over, or I could come to Switzerland, I know how much you love Americans.”

I was in shock. I really meant that much to him? Like, for real? Naaaaah, no way! It only happens in the movies, or in books. 

“You really mean that? Like, for real? Like, seriously?”

“Of course.”

He kissed me. I just loved his way of kissing.

I heard the door unlocking. She had been listening through the whole conversation.  Josh took my hand and as we went to the common room, we heard Megan screaming.

“ JAMELIE IS REUNITED! APPLAUD JAMELIE! VIVA JAMELIE!”

I laughed, so did he. We went to look for left overs when Will appeared. Obviously, Megan’s plan had changed, but this one was funnier. A lot funnier. I tried not to laugh nor to smile, and looked at him.

“Will?”

“Hmm?”

“I moustache you a question. Do you happen to know if there are crisps anywhere?”

“Nah, I ate them all.”

“Too bad.”

He had no idea, really. That was the funniest part! Josh started laughing, and I let him. Will looked at him, certainly thinking he was retarded. I joined him in his laughter as Will walked out of the kitchen. 

“It’s getting better by the minute in your cabin!”

“I know right?!”

And out of nowhere, he threw flour at me. Oh boy, this is war. I grabbed the liquid soap and splashed him.

“RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN YOU FOOL!” I screamed at him

He ran passed the common room and threw flour at Jonny, who went to the kitchen and took the Ketchup. 

“THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!” He screamed while throwing Ketchup at Josh.

But it fell on Billie, who yelled before grabbing another pack of flour to get back at Jonny.

It was soon the chaos in cabin 14, but we all needed to laugh a bit here. And it’ll be Will’s punishment to clean up the cabin. It should be long enough.

- Written by Amélie El Kadiri