Chapter 40 - Billie

I heard the steady beeping of the hospital monitors as a roused myself from a fitful sleep. I'd been in a private room at the local hospital for two days after the paramedics had whisked me away from camp. I couldnt really remember much of what happened; the whole day of the accident was a blur. I remember seeing Megan, but nothing about our conversation remained. Concussions did that to people. I couldnt even remember why or how the accident had happened. The doctors told me that I'd fallen from the roof of a two storey building and that I was lucky to be alive.

My injuries were amazingly limited, the doctors had said. No broken bones, no fractures; just a hell of a concussion and partial amnesia. My wrist and ankle were pretty badly sprained, but somehow they had remained unbroken.

My nurse Alicia knocked lightly on the door and came into my room, followed by Megan and someone...after a moment I remembered her to be Rachel. This wasnt the first time I'd almost not recognised someone. My parents had been unable to visit me, so my great aunt had travelled to the hospital. It took me a while to remember her name.

"Billie, I have some people here to visit y-"

"Billie!" Megan said gleefully, running over to my bedside. "How are you feeling?"

I shuffled myself to a sitting position. Alicia smiled at me and left the room. "Besides the aching cranium, pretty stellar. How're things back at camp?"

Rachel sat on the chair beside Megan. "Things have been pretty frantic since the accident. Nobody knows who to blame." I frowned. Rachel noticed this. "What is it?"

"It's just...you said blame. Did someone do this to me? The paramedics said that I fell."

Megan raised her eyebrow. "You mean you dont remember?" I shrugged. "Anything? Wow."

"I remember us being trapped in the house because of rain, and everything after that is a blur. I've been trying to remember since I got out of my x-rays, but..nothing."

"That must be awful." Rachel said sympathetically. "Do you want us to tell you what happened?"

I shook my head. "I dont need to know what happened. Just tell me who's to blame."

They looked at each other. Megan crossed her legs and frowned at me. "That's the thing. We dont exactly know who to blame. Maisie is the one who threw the pie, but Will handcuffed you..."

"You do realise how crazy that sounds, dont you?" Megan shrugged. "Well, I should be getting out of here this evening. The doctors called the camp about my special requirements and I have travel arrangements sorted."

"You're coming back?!" Megan said, her gleeful expression returning. I nodded. "Brilliant! We've been guilt tripping Will since you got carted away. It will kill him to see you."

I frowned. I didnt want to hurt anyone, especially not Will. Last I could remember, I still liked him. What could have happened in those few hours that had made me hate him?

- - - 

I held a bag of pill bottles in my uninjured arm as Megan, Rachel, and Dr Harrow wheeled me towards the hospital exit. Megan carried my pair of crutches, and Rachel had the spare clothes I'd been brought by my aunt.

While I was excited to be getting back to camp, I was also really nervous about seeing everyone. From what Megan had said, most of them didnt know how injured I was. 

Dr Harrow helped me into the taxi, and Megan and Rachel sat either side of me. Once the doors were shut and the taxi had pulled away from the hospital, I turned to Megan.

"Just a quick question....does everyone know about my injuries? Do they know I'm coming back today?"

Megan grinned. "The head of camp knows. But it's a surprise for everyone else."