▷ 12

12-LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON

➳➳➳➳

Shouts had came from the Mellark household. Nova frowned out her bedroom window, wondering what was going on. She set aside her journal she was writing from, getting up from her bed. The blonde stretched, before she walked down her hallway, toward the front door. She let herself out, as she walked across the street toward the screaming house. Nova was going to knock, when she heard Peeta's mother shout something at her son. "You're going to end up like your father-a drunken old fool. Like father, like son," his mother sneered.

"Don't you even dare say that!" Peeta hissed. "I only missed one day of work at the bakery. I needed a break! I've been working everyday for the past year. Get off your fat ass and actually work."

Nova was beyond shocked at what she was hearing. She couldn't imagine showing her father such disrespect, but Peeta's home life wasn't the greatest, so she understood. Peeta had came storming out, his mother still screaming after him. He saw Nova standing there, as he grabbed her by the forearm, taking her away from his house.

"Peeta, what's going on?" The blonde asked, as he took her to their meadow.

Peeta sighed, as they both sat down on the grass. "My mother, that's what going on," he grumbled, shaking his head.

"What was she mad about anyway?" Nova curiously asked, knowing she already heard the answer.

"I skipped a day of work, considering I've worked everyday for a year, and you knew that. My mother is pissed about that, thinking I'm going to turn into my father," he said, as he rolled his head at his delusional mother.

"That's absurd!" Nova screeched. "How could she even say something like that? You're nothing like your father-God, I can't even picture you becoming anything like that monster," she disgustedly scrunched up her face, imaging Peeta like his father.

Peeta smiled lightly at her, kissing her temple. "It's okay, Nova. I took care of it."

Nova frowned, but let the topic of discussion go. She leaned against his shoulder, sighing softly. Nova wondered what it would be like if this reality didn't exist. She wondered if there was an alternated reality where The Hunger Games didn't exist, and freedom was present. But that wasn't going to happen, the Capitol was in power, and nothing could change that. They were doomed for eternity, nothing could save them; only their sweet dreams that they had while dreaming. Nova sometimes wonder what it be like to leave-to leave and never look back at the treacherous life she was living.

"Peeta, you remember our promise we made when we first met?" Nova asked out of nowhere.

Peeta looked down at her, chuckling lightly. "How could I forget? You still want to leave?"

Nova nodded her head. "Let's run away before the 74th Hunger Games, deal?"

"Deal."

They sealed their deal, with a kiss.

➳➳➳➳