▷ 4

4-WHAT WE CAN DO

➳➳➳➳

Fire crackled. Smoke filtered through the air, clouding the grayish colored sky. Chaotic screams filled the atmosphere, men in white suits stomped through the fields. How could two 11 year olds cause so much destruction? Two children, whom whose families are poor. Who could barely afford warm clothes or even food. Her blonde hair was tied up, as her clothes was soiled with dirt. He stood beside her, soiled in all; he was in this together with her. Whatever she wanted to do, he did also. The Peacekeepers firmly gripped onto their bodies, as the two children stood with fear.

Nova wanted to cause destruction-to have the Capitol see what they can really do. And that is exactly what a poor little girl from District 12 did. She had an army of angry protesters gather behind her, as they chanted 'let us have freedom'. Freedom from the games, freedom from poverty, freedom from this life. Nova and Peeta both sparked up a rebellion; a first time for anybody, especially from two kids. They all stood in the town square, chanting and hollering, as they demanded fair treatment and equal rights. The screen that displayed The Hunger Games was tattered and scarred. Half of the screen on the ground-the footprints of the people stained on the white colored screen.

Peeta and Nova interlocked their hands as they stood in front of the crowd, leading the protesters. A smile of determination and fury was painted on their faces. For the first time, Nova felt like she was finally being heard, people were listening to her. She had a voice and it was being used. No one was using her age or lack of experience or education against her. It was just a girl with a crowd of people with the same common goal: to rid Panem of The Hunger Games.

The protesters destroyed property, started fires, attacking Peacekeepers. Anything to get the attention of President Snow. Nova Mae Lambert and Peeta Mellark didn't mean to cause this much destruction. A simple, yet peaceful protest was all they wanted. Nothing more or less violent than that.

Peacekeepers had arrived at the scene, arresting and executing people on site. Horrors were to be scene from the protest. When the Peacekeepers had grabbed ahold of the two delinquent children, they were taken to a holding cell.

Nova felt utterly miserable. Her face was covered in tears and dirt. She was responsible for the madness she caused. She was scared-what 11 year old wouldn't be? Peeta wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulder, letting the blonde sob into his chest.

"I'm sorry I put you through this, Peeta," Nova cried. "I didn't mean for this to go this far."

Peeta instantly shook his head. "Nova, we both started this. We both are in this together."

"What if they kill us?" Nova expressed, dread clouding her judgment.

Peeta couldn't honestly answer that. What if they did? The Capitol and President Snow were vicious and were out for blood.

Nova and Peeta's parents had rushed in, terror in the whites of their eyes. They cried and shouted at the Peacekeepers to let their child go. The cruel men had said no, saying the two children were behind the rebellion. Their parents had instantly disagreed, but one look at their child's eyes, and they knew Nova and Peeta had done it.

"They had nothing to do with it," Nova's mother blurted out of nowhere. Nova shook her head. "Momma, no."

Her mother gave her a look, as she obeyed. "I had Nova and Peeta start the rebellion, for my sake. I hated The Hunger Games with a passion, and was afraid my little girl could be next to get picked. I was the one behind it."

The Peacekeepers had believed her confession, as they kicked her to her knees. Nova was crying as she and Peeta had been let out of their cells. Peeta ran to his parents as she ran down to her mother.

"Tell your father I love him," her mother softly told her.

Nova sobbed heavily, as her arms hooked around her mother's neck tightly. "I love you, Nova Mae." Her mother kissed her temple.

She then turned to Peeta, giving him a slight nod. "Take care of her."

"I will," Peeta nodded in obedience. He pulled Nova away from her mother, as she was struggling to let go.

The gun was aimed at her mother's head. The trigger was pulled back, as the shot was made.

May the odds, be never in your favor.