▷ 2

2-SWEET PERFUME

➳➳➳➳

The dark times were upon them. People were grieving for lost ones, as they were hungry and poor. The Lambert family was well on their way to starving too death. Nova's father was a mine worker; whom made terrible money. Her mother was a stay at home mother.

Most kids Nova's age would not understand what dark times were like. But kids like Nova, knew exactly what dark times meant. The dark times were filled with sufferable, toxic days. It made the best of people turn against one another. It turned everyone against each other's districts. Especially despising the Capitol, and President Snow.

Nova sat on the front porch of her small, crumbling home. Her head in her hands, her stomach in a rumbling fit, starvation taking over. Her insides were yarning, twisting and turning, a sickly feeling abrupting.

She was deathly hungry. She hadn't eaten anything in 2 days. Bugs were starting to look appetizing, and Nova hated bugs.

Nova looked up, when she heard footsteps approaching her. It was Peeta, with two loafs of bread in his hand. Her mouth was watering.

"You hungry?" Peeta asked.

Nova nodded her head with a slight rush, as Peeta handed her the first bread. She grabbed the loaf, devouring it in a heartbeat. The soft, piping hot bread morned in her mouth. Peeta chuckled lightly, as he took a seat next to her.

He could smell the sweet smell of the blonde's vanilla-jasmine perfume. Her sweet smelling perfume filled his aroma, creating a smile to fuel his face. His insides tingled; his stomach curdled, and flipped-fopped. Peeta watched as Nova finished off the bread. She took the second loaf, running inside her home, setting it down on the counter. For dinner, for the Lambert family.

Once Nova got back, her and Peeta took into town square. They laughed, as the young children seemed to not have a care in the world. They watched hunters trade in their just killed rabbit, for bread, as they sat together in silence and harmony

Nova hadn't realize how much she loved her district. No matter how poor, and crowded the district was, it will always be her home.

"Peeta, what's that?" Nova innocently questioned, as she saw a bruise forming on the young boys cheek.

Peeta hesitated, as he stammered with nervousness. "It's nothing," he lied.

Nova knew he was lying. He wasn't a very good lier. She knew it must be a sensitive subject for Peeta to lie about it. The young girl let it alone, knowing it must be none of her business.

Nova respected his privacy, not pushing the subject any further.

The sun settled down, as they spent the day in the town square, people watching and talking. They talked about the little things: things that they liked, things they disliked, things they wish would change.

Nova wanted the whole district system to change. For an 11 year old, she was very smart and very well developed in her education. She was practically a genius, that had an excellent amount of common sense. Nova wanted more in life than to just live in fear. Fear that she might be placed in The Hunger Games.

The young blonde girl wanted to have an adventure. Check out the rest of the world, than just in Panem. Nova wanted to branch out and see what was on the other side of the world. She had big plans that she knew she might never get to do. But Nova Mae Lambert had hope.

Hope that she could do anything; regardless, if things may see impossible now, but she had a plan to leave. A plan to leave, and take her best friend, Peeta along for the ride.

➳➳➳➳