Chapter 29- Goodbye

Chapter 29

Date: October 31

Location: Attic at Safe House

Time: 8:44 p.m.

Have you ever had that feeling where time just seems to slow down and one second feels like one hour? That’s what I was feeling right now. Ice seemed to spread and coat all over my veins rendering them completely useless and my brain seemed to be on repeat. My chest felt like a 50 pound weight was placed on it and my eyes stung with the tears that still refused to fall.

Terri was dead, Terri was dead. My mind kept telling me over and over and over again.

I kept waiting for him to jump up and the spark to return in his eyes and joke that this was just some cruel sadistic prank to lighten the mood but he never moved an inch.

Terri was dead.

My gaze was fully focused on one of my best friend’s prone figure that I didn’t see Jack come in the room out of the corner of my eye and I didn’t noticed Valentin reach for a blade until it was too late. Valentin had thrown the blade directly at Jack before I could even make a noise of protest. However Jack was also an assassin so he was able to dodge the blade easily and watch as it sunk itself into the wall behind him.

“Stop!” I immediately yell and stand up on wobbly legs before the two made the room more bloody. Valentin looked at me like I was completely insane and I honestly might have been but he didn’t move any further.

“Aura who is this?” Fran asked cautiously.

“This is Jack; he was the assassin we were considering to join our group before Valentin came in.”

“I don’t understand,” Matt said. “I thought V killed him.”

“It’s a long story,” Jack interjects.

“He knows where John is.” I start and tried to forget everything except finding John.

“Is that all you’re thinking of?” Valentin yelled at me, his accent growing thick. “Just John, John, John! You are aware that you’re friend just died right.”

“Yes but I’d like to not think of that at the moment!” I shouted back as my chest constricted again.

“You’re,” Valentin starts to say.

“What?” I ask cutting him off. “Un mocciose inutile che solo usci con per ottenere una nuova vita?!”

“What’d she say?” I heard Iris whisper to no one in particular as Valentin’s face pales.

“You know what that means?” He asks and I am about to open my mouth to yell at him some more when Sam lets out an ear piercing shriek. That stops me in my tracks as I look to my best friend since high school who had blood shot eyes and hair that went every which way.

“Stop it, just stop it,” She cried. “Terri’s dead and you are fighting.”

Guilt immediately swarmed my chest as my mouth pulls down into a frown as I look at his still body once more before looking away. This was my entire fault that he now lay on the ground unmoving and I was causing everyone so much pain. While it wasn’t my idea in the first place to take down Lockstar I did nothing to stop it and I pushed it forward.

I looked at the group of people that stood before me, excluding Jack of course, and remembered when I had first met all of them. They had a spark in their eyes and they were happy, now they all looked depressed and were all covered in blood. It was my fault that they were this way, especially Sam. I can’t help but think what would have happened if I never went back to Michigan and told them everything. Would they have been safe? Would Terri still be dead?