Chapter 22- Breakfast Gone Wrong

Chapter 22

Date: September 15th

Location: Gym

Time: 5:04 a.m.

My eyes ached to close but my brain willed my body to keep moving, I wouldn’t be surprised if I fell asleep while running soon. My limbs didn’t ache seeing as the soothing sense of sleep washed over everything making me feel completely comfortable despite the fact that I was running around a track and could very well run into a cement wall.

In a desperate attempt to avoid Valentin while making it look like I wasn’t hurt by his idiotic actions I changed my schedule around. I got up two hours earlier than he (we unfortunately still share the same room) and begin my workout doing the same series of exercises that we usually did. In order to incorporate martial arts in I got some educational videos and currently used a dummy to practice the jabs on. It wasn’t perfect but it would be able to get me through whatever shit that came next, or at least I hoped it would.

“Little early,” A voice says from the entry way as I finish up my last lap. I look over to Max who is leaning against the doorway with shorts and a loose t-shirt on.

“Could say the same for you,” I responded grabbing my water bottle and wiping off the excess sweat on my forehead. “What are you doing here?”

“Looking for a sparring partner.” He replies walking towards me.

“I’m afraid I wouldn’t be that good compared to you.”

“Well we don’t know yet,” He smirked. “Unless you are afraid.”

I wasn’t but I also wasn’t looking forward to getting my ass handed to me and my now yellowing bruises to come back with an even stronger vengeance. However pride and fighting have mixed all too well and I wasn’t about to let mine be damaged by soldier boy.

We walk over to the mats and I stretch my limbs quickly before getting into a defensive mode remembering everything that the videos and Valentin taught me. Making sure the sleeves of my shirt were all the way down I prepared for the worst as Max just stood casually. Soldiers are put through rigorous training before they are put out into the field and I doubted being a month away from them lessened his ability.

He swung first and I was barely able to maneuver my body away just as it flew past me. Holding back a smirk I threw one of my own punches only to hit air too. He swept his legs across the ground barely kissing the surface and I jumped over his leg like it was a jumping rope. As soon as I hit the ground I spun lifting my left leg up to kick his lowered position on the ground, he grabbed my shin and flipped me over making me hit the ground hard.

I barely got my breath back as he swung again and I rolled across the mat and got up immediately getting knocked down again. As he advanced I rolled backwards and using that momentum I was able to push myself off of the ground and get back in position.

“Not bad,” Max praised. “If you kept to training with V I would have already been on my ass by now.” The name brings a frown to my face and I throw another punch, harder this time, and I hit him in the stomach. He lets out a whoosh of air but otherwise doesn’t look phased by the action. “Touchy subject?”

“Shut up,” I said trying to restrain my anger.

“I won’t,” He replied dodging another one of my punches and throwing one of them himself. “Know why?” I didn’t respond as we circled each other. “Because any opponent you’re in a fight with will use your weaknesses to their advantage, that includes emotional feelings.”