Chapter 23- Burning Reunions

Chapter 23

Date: September 15th

Location: Living Room

Time: 10:26 a.m.

My body felt like it was dunked in ice cold water as the others immediately sprung to action as the pounding footsteps overhead came closer and closer. Iris and John looked like they wanted to fight but by the sound of the impeding footsteps we were going to be greatly outnumbered.

“Move!” Valentin yelled and we didn’t need to be told twice.

Even though I had ran three miles after dealing with cars exploding around me my body felt alive and thrummed with energy. I bolted towards the door and was halfway through the foyer when three men entered my vision. I barely screeched to a stop as the familiar men covered in black smirked at me holding their gun steadily, ready to shoot.

An arm pulled me back and pushed me behind their tall frame and I looked cautiously at Valentin who, empty handed, glared at the men with his usual icy glare. Looking up I could see at least ten men on either side ready to shoot and at least another five behind us blocking our exit.

“Move,” One of the men in black said. “All we want is the girl.” His eyes shot towards me and he gave me a fake smile that made bile rise to my throat.

“Not a chance,” Iris practically growled stepping forward with her own gun raised. However on closer inspection I saw that it was a flare gun.

“Do you really think that will stop me?” The man chuckled.

“No but it will stun you,” She aimed the gun upward and fired and the illuminating bright red light blinded me. I tried not to stumble around and blinked rapidly to get my vision back.

Note to self: Never look at a flare gun when it is about to be fired ever again.

The room was starting to smoke up and it was getting increasingly warm which meant I could only assume that Iris had set the house on fire. I coughed trying to expel the fumes from my lungs as I pushed past a couple of dazed men wondering where the others were. Shouts and curses filled the air as I made my way towards what I assumed was the kitchen where I could hopefully climb out of the window if need be.

“Here hacker, hacker, hacker!” A man screamed as if he were calling a dog. “Where are you?”

The voice was getting increasingly closer and I barely had time to grab one of the kitchen knives as he stumbled in literally smoking. He grinned, his teeth seeming even white against his smoke and grime covered skin. From what I could tell his gun was gone and he didn’t look afraid by my weak attempt at holding the knife.

“There you are.” He cooed before lunging.

I dodged his large frame as he stumbled into the granite kitchen countertop losing his breath momentarily. Using his brief moment of hesitation I spun around and drove the knife straight into his back. He let out a howl of pain and a rush of ruby red blood flowed down his dark clothing making it stick to his skin.

Apparently he had dealt with this pain before or adrenaline was keeping him from feeling any more as he took the thing out of his back and flung it over to the side leaving a bloody streak against the floor. He turned around and pushed me back, making me slide a little against the sleek floors and hit my head on one of the cabinets.

My vision is momentarily gone for a second but when I regain it I see him holding a gun at me clicking off the safety breathing roughly. None of his other men had come to aid him and I wondered if they were still stumbling around in the burning house.