Chapter 21- One Step Forward, Three Steps Back

Okay so I am typing this in a hotel room in Madison where I had just met my brother’s roommates for next year. Let me just say it is kind of awkward standing there when half naked guys are walking down the hall, but not unpleasant lol :) Hope you enjoy the chapter!

Chapter 21

Date: September 3rd

Time: 12:06 p.m.

Location: Kitchen

The kitchen was cold bare and unforgiving as I walked in after a ridiculous long training session. I spent most of the time running and lifting weights trying to get my mind off of everything. Knots lined up and down my back and I cracked my back to relieve some of the tension that was piling up.

Valentin was still gone and I was one step away from going into complete panic mode. He shouldn’t have just got up and left to who knows where and not leave us any explanation. No I should rephrase, he couldn’t just leave us like that without any explanation to where he was going.

I flexed my fingers and stormed out of the kitchen not feeling particularly hungry as I took a scalding shower hoping that all my thoughts and worries would run down the drain with the shampoo. Even after spending a half an hour in there I achieved nothing except angry red skin.

I jumped out and slipped on clothes and put my wet hair up into a pony tail when I heard the door slam shut. Everyone else was home so we either had another intruder who sucked at being stealthy, or Valentin was back home.

I was able to make it halfway down the stairs when I saw him storming up them wearing his usual leather jacket and the gym shorts he wore from yesterday. He pushed past me not even sparing a glance as he headed to whatever destination he chose determinedly.

“Hey,” I said trying to catch up with him. However his longer legs and the fact that he has been trained from running from the cops to killing a man without actually being there helped him avoid my reach. “Hey!” I yelled again as we reached the top of the floor and he stopped and turned around to glare at me. The movement was so fast I almost fell down the stairs if it wasn’t for his hand that shot out to wrap around my arm.

“What?” He asked icily and I wondered what had happened to the broken sounding man that was outside of my door yesterday.

Getting a closer look I saw that his hair looked like he just rolled out of bed, his eyes were bloodshot and he reeked of some horrible alcohol. I was able to hold back a shudder of disgust at his smell so I could back to the task at hand.

“Where the hell where you?” I asked and immediately felt like a scolding mother.

“I don’t think that is any of your business.” He replies letting go of my arm and walking to our room.

“Yes it is,” I follow him. He walks into the walk in closet and slams it in my face and I roll my eyes at his childish behavior.

“And why is it?” He asked.

I wanted to say because I was worried about him, that I cared about him, that I was risking to fuck up my life again just to be with him. But I didn’t.

“Because you are a part of my team who went MIA last night, anything could have happened to you. Lockstar could’ve,” I started when the door swung open again and he is wearing new clothes.

“It’s all about them isn’t it?” He questions bitterly as he maneuvers around me and back out of the door and down the stairs.

“It kind of is when they are trying to kill us and making the world a living hell.” I say running to match his speedy pace.