Chapter 10 - One Summer Night

Jess was starving when she joined Douglas and Uncle Jonathon at the table.  Dinner was later than usual since they'd been delayed getting home.  Now that Douglas was back, life had returned to the routine Jess had become used to before he left, except now he was spending the last days of summer going to work with Uncle Jonathon instead of school.  But that was just fine with Jess.  She was glad he wasn't around so she could be with Marty all day without him wondering where she was. 

Just as she was putting her napkin in her lap, there was an odd clinking noise that got her attention.  A set of keys on a key ring, had just fallen out of Douglas's napkin and were lying on the table.

"What's this?" Douglas asked with surprise, picking them up, and Jess felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. 

"What do they look like?" Uncle Jonathon asked with a knowing smile.

"What?  No!  You didn't!" Douglas sputtered, his eyes wide with excitement.

"Why don't you go outside and take a look?" Uncle Jonathon suggested and Douglas jumped out of his chair and ran through the swinging door to the butler's pantry.  Uncle Jonathon stood up, saying, "Come along, Jessica.  You should come see this too."

Jess put her napkin back on the table and stood even though she didn't want to.  By time she made it outside, Annie and Uncle Jonathon were standing by, watching Douglas excitedly examine a teal and white car she'd never seen before, confirming what she'd already suspected.  Uncle Jonathon had just given Douglas a brand new car. 

He got behind the wheel and turned it on.  When the engine roared to life, he looked at them with a huge grin and Jess felt the familiar jealousy rise up inside her once again.  She couldn't help remembering how Uncle Jonathon had balked at spending money on some outdoor clothes for her a month ago.  Yet again, it seemed money was no object when it came to Douglas. 

After he got out of the car, he exclaimed, "Thanks, dad!" and threw his arms around Uncle Jonathon, hugging him tight.  Uncle Jonathon seemed taken by surprise by the sudden embrace and patted his back with one hand.

"It's alright, son," he said, looking slightly uncomfortable.  "Now that you've just gotten your driver's license, I thought you'd find it useful."

"It's a beautiful car, Doug!" Annie exclaimed happily.

"I love it!" he said, beaming as he went over and stroked the hood.

"Well, let's go inside before our dinner gets cold," Uncle Jonathan suggested, and Douglas reluctantly tore himself away from his car.

Back at the table, Uncle Jonathon told Douglas about all the special features the car had while Jess silently ate, hunched over her plate.  She knew she shouldn't be surprised by the fact her uncle favored Douglas over her anymore.  Nor should she expect to be treated any better.  This was probably how it was going to be for the rest of the time she lived there.  At least she had Annie and Marty to make her life bearable.  Hearing Uncle Jonathon speak her name interrupted her thoughts, and she looked up from her plate.

"What did you say?" Douglas asked, also seemingly astonished she'd been mentioned.

"Now that you have a car, I want you to take Jessica into town on Friday night," Uncle Jonathon said.  "Show her around a little, take her to a movie."  Jess looked at Douglas and saw the shock she was feeling mirrored in his eyes. 

"But – I already have plans," Douglas said desperately.

"You'll have to change them," Uncle Jonathon said firmly.  "Jessica said she wanted to spend more time with you."