Chapter 31 - Five Feet High and Rising

Upon entering the cabin one morning, Jess opened the windows, feeling the breeze clear out the stuffy air as she made her way to the back door. After leaving the basket on the counter, she took her book and sat on the front stoop to read while she waited for Marty.

Since school had let out a month ago, it seemed her days started and ended with Marty, especially the ones when Annie had the day off. Just like the previous summer, she'd wake up to an empty house, eat breakfast alone before going to the cabin and waiting for him. When she'd return to the empty house in the afternoon, she'd heat up dinner to have it ready in time for Doug and Uncle Jonathon's arrival.

At least Doug made an attempt to talk to her now during meals, but since there was so little she could say about what she'd done all day, and what he'd been busy with involved the mine, their conversations were short. He and his dad usually talked while Jess's mind drifted, either reliving what she'd done with Marty that day, or thinking about whatever story she was reading.

"Hey, Jess," she heard, and lifted her head. Marty was striding across the clearing with a paper sack in either hand.

"Hi, Marty!" Jess called out excitedly, jumping up from the stoop so she could go to him. "It's nice today. Not too hot."

"Yeah, it wasn't too bad makin' deliveries."

"Watcha got in the other bag?" she asked as she joined him to walk back to the cabin.

"You'll see," he said, grinning down at her with his brown eyes twinkling mischievously.

"I want to see now!"

"I'll show you when we eat."

"You're such a tease, Marty!" she huffed, angry he was enjoying making her wait, and he laughed.

"You just make it too easy," he said, shaking his head.

As soon as he'd changed into his bathing suit, the two of them set out for the pond, her carrying a blanket and towels, and him with the fishing pole. While she walked behind him, she looked up at the tops of the trees swaying in the breeze. The leaves made a loud rustling noise and she caught glimpses of large puffy clouds crossing patches of deep blue sky. Letting out a sigh, she focused her attention back on Marty. Normally she loved days like this, but she felt restless instead of peaceful.

As soon as they reached the pond, Jess shed her sandals and sundress. Splashing into the water, she was followed by Marty who immediately began to chase after her. Later, when they were sitting on the blanket under the willow tree, Marty opened the smaller of the two paper sacks and held a wrapped peanut butter and jelly sandwich out to her. She took it and handed over the sliced pork sandwich she'd made for him.

When he unwrapped it and took a big bite, she knew he was dragging out showing her what was in the second sack on purpose, but she was determined not to say anything. Unwrapping her own sandwich, she bit into it and chewed while she watched the water ripple through the swaying willow branches. After another bite out of his sandwich, he set it aside and finally opened the other bag. When she turned her head at the rustling, he was grinning at her and she moved her attention back to the water, pretending not to care.

"Are you thirsty?" he asked, pulling out a bottle of Coca Cola.

"I suppose," she said as nonchalantly as she could, while he reached inside the bag for a bottle opener. He grinned while popping the cap off and handed it to her. It was still cold and she took a long drink, feeling the carbonation burn her throat.

"It's good! Thanks!" she said with a smile.

"Don't mention it," he replied dryly, opening his own bottle, but his eyes still had that mischievous look.