Chapter 13 - I Got a Feeling

As Jess walked behind Marty on the way to the pond, the usually comfortable silence between them felt heavy.  She wanted to talk to him about how her uncle had almost kept her from going to school the night before, but she suspected he wouldn't be very sympathetic.  Knowing how much he hated school, she wasn't sure he'd understand how horrible it would have been for her.  He'd probably be happy if someone told him he wasn't going back.   

Ever since she'd woken up that morning, she'd felt a nervous fluttering in her stomach, knowing tomorrow was the first day of school.  Worries mounted even though she'd tried to push them away.  Would she be able to find her way around?  Would her classes be hard?  Would she like her teachers?  And most importantly, would the other kids like her? 

If those weren't enough questions to be worried about, she had the added burden of knowing if her uncle found fault in anything she did, he'd force her to stay home.  When she thought about what he probably expected of her, she shuddered inwardly.  She would never treat people as if she was better than them, but she knew the bigger issue would be who she chose as friends.  Judging by the kind of friends Doug had, she knew how limited her choices were.  Would she like the kids of the wealthy and powerful in town enough to want to be friends with them?  She hoped there would at least be one or two. 

And then there was Marty.  As she watched him walk ahead of her through the field of tall grass with an easy stride, the fishing pole propped against his shoulder, she felt terrible.  When she'd found out they were going to the same school, she'd been excited, but now she wished they weren't.  How was it going to feel to be in the same class with him, or pass him in the hall and pretend she didn't know him?  He was her best friend and she was going to have to act as though he didn't exist.  It wasn't right, but what choice did she have?  Even Marty had said she had to do it.

As soon as they reached the pond, Jess put their lunches and her towel under the willow tree while Marty began unlacing his boots.  Anxious to leave her worries about school behind, she quickly unbuckled her shoes and pulled off her socks.  Within seconds she was splashing into the cool water and did a shallow dive, swimming under the surface as long as her breath held. 

When she came up and turned around, Marty was swimming towards her.  Now able to swim as well as she did, it wasn't long before he reached her.  They immediately began splashing each other until she turned with a shriek of laughter and swam as fast as she could, trying to escape the deluge of water Marty was throwing at her.

Later that afternoon, with the sun sinking lower in the sky, she knew she'd better get home.  Reluctantly sitting up, she looked over at Marty.  He was sleeping on his back with an arm over his eyes. 

"Marty, I have to go," she said loudly, and he stirred.  She stood and stretched before wrapping the towel around her waist.  Marty got up and when he went to his clothes, she happened to glance over at him.

"Marty!" she gasped.  "What happened to your back?"  She couldn't believe she hadn't noticed the ugly dark-purple bruise on his left shoulder blade until that moment.  Marty's shoulders stiffened as he walked through the willow branches, but he didn't stop and she quickly followed him.

"I fell," he said as he scooped up his t-shirt.  That didn't make any sense to her and she went behind him so she could examine the bruise more closely, but he pulled on the shirt, covering it up. 

"But – how could you –?"  He turned suddenly, his eyes hard as he loomed over her.

"Will you give it a rest already?" he snarled.  She stared up at him, shocked by his sudden anger, and a look of regret crossed his face.  He turned to retrieve his jeans, but not before she saw his face flush.