Chapter 51 - Town Without Pity

May 1962

After arriving home from school, Jess let herself into the kitchen and then stopped.  The air that surrounded her was warm and scented with the delicious smell of roasting chicken.  Could it be, she wondered and then she saw Annie stepping out of the butler’s pantry.

Annie!” she practically screamed, and ran to her.  “You don’t know how much I’ve missed you!” she cried, hugging her tight.

“Oh, pumpkin!  I’ve missed you too!”

Jess let go and wiped her eyes while Annie pulled a handkerchief from her pocket.  When she was about to dab her eyes, her hand stilled and concern was obvious in her hazel eyes.

“Why, pumpkin,” she said, studying Jess.  “You’ve lost weight.”

“Uh, I guess it’s because I’ve been missing your good cooking,” Jess lied, keeping her smile going.  “Why didn’t you tell us you were coming back?” she asked, wanting to change the subject away from her appearance.

“As soon as I got my sister settled back in her apartment, she insisted I go home.  The doctor said she could manage on her own, and – I just didn’t want to wait!  I called your uncle this morning, and he got me a ticket on the very next train,” she said, smiling happily.

“Do they know you’re back?”

“Yes, James took me to the office so I could see them before he brought me here.  So tell me everything that’s happened since I was gone!” she asked excitedly.

“Uh,” Jess started, trying to think of what to say.  “Final exams are next week – and my friend Louise got a steady beau, and –.” 

Wracking her brain to try and come up with something else to tell Annie, all that came to her were things she couldn’t speak about.  She couldn’t share her devastating break up with Marty since she didn’t want Annie to know how serious they’d become.  Nor could she divulge that Doug was in love with her.  She was certain that piece of news would devastate Annie.  And she didn’t want to tell her that Uncle Jonathon had physically attacked her and accused her of having an affair with James.  That would hurt her too since she was in love with him.

“It’s just been quiet!” she said with a laugh, but she had to blink hard because tears had suddenly sprung to her eyes.  She struggled to keep her smile going while she remembered how bad things had really been since Annie had left, but the tears were coming too fast.

“Oh, honey.  Are you okay?” Annie worriedly, gently touching her cheek.  “What happened?”

“I – just really missed you,” Jess said, no longer able to hold back and Annie pulled her into a hug.

“I’m home now, pumpkin,” she soothed, rubbing Jess’s back while Jess cried on her shoulder.  “And I’m not going away again anytime soon.”

“I know.  I’m okay now,” Jess said firmly as she let go, and wiped her eyes.

“Good girl!” she replied with a relieved smile.  “Why don’t you change your clothes and I’ll go fix your basket with a nice snack.  We need to get you eating healthy again!” 

She turned to retrieve the basket from the butler’s pantry and Jess opened her mouth to stop her, then hesitated as a wave of conflicting emotions hit her.  She hadn’t been to the cabin once since Marty had left her, and the idea that maybe he hadn’t stayed away like he said he would, suddenly filled her mind. 

What if he’d decided to come back?  He could have been coming to the cabin for a while and she just didn’t know.  It had been his refuge for years so he could escape his dad and it wasn’t that farfetched he’d still need it.  If he was there, she could talk to him and maybe even work things out with him.  Running up the back stairs, she felt butterflies in her stomach as possibilities filled her mind.  Maybe she and Marty had a chance after all.